frog spawn

jill

I have a large frog spawn in my tank and just recently found out that it is poisonous to other corals. Is it harmful to anything else, such as cleaner shrimp, snails, fish, etc?

C

coralbeauty

Frogspawn do pack a power sting. I have recently developed a little rash from accidentally touching mine! I have them in both tanks, and they do not harm any of my fish, shrimps, crabs, etc. If they touch your other corals they will sting them.
I have a very large hammerhead in one of my tanks (a very similar coral) and it is the home of my clown fish. However it did wipe out a small section of my green star polyps that it came in contact with. I have heard of clowns living in frogspawns as well.
So far the only injuries have been to myself and the star polyps.
Good luck,
Connie
So far th

pezlok

I also have a frog spawn. My percula clown has made it it's home. I have touched it a couple of times to move it in my tank and never had it sting me or hurt my skin.

tonka

Enphyllia(frogspawn,hammer,torch)isn't poisonous. It does sting other corals if it touchs them. Just make sure no other corals are around it. And as far as hurting humans,it's like a bee sting,some react, some don't.
[ April 17, 2001: Message edited by: Tonka ]

C

coralbeauty

It is the strangest thing. I have had my two frogspawn for a couple of years. I have touched them, the hammerhead and the bubble coral several times. Never had I had a problem. Then in the last two months everytime I come in contact with it I get a contact dermatitis. It itches and is red and rashy!
So strange! The moral of the story is I should keep my hands out of the tank!
Connie

hi all, did you know that gonipora or flowerpots do the same thing? When I put in the wave maker the flowerpots would sway like crazy and, they are right next to my box coral, burnt both ends of it . I had to move it away , We really like the box coral and the flowerpots. ....fixit ;)