Frogfish questions

dive girl

I'm hoping to add a frogfish tank to my collection. It's a 26g that will be a species only. I'm looking at a wartskin (A. maculatus) angler that about 2 inches in length.
I've bugged saxman with tons of questions and now I'm here to bug you all (I feel like a big pest...poor saxman! He's been so patient.). Also after searching there's a few specific questions that I have.
I've ordered some marine feeder shrimp (P. vulgaris) that I want to quarantine should I need them for feeding. I want to treat them for external parasites before they go into their holding tank. Can I use some formalin in a bath with inverts? If so, what's the dosage I should be using. I know that I add formalin to my seahorse fry tank but don't know the safe dosage for inverts.
Everything I've read so far (and saxman confirmed) is that you can overfeed and actually kill your frogfish so they should only be fed 1-2 times a week. Easy enough. How many shrimp should I put in it's tank during a feeding?
I'd like to train it to eat fresh or frozen. What should I start with? Fresh shrimp/fish pieces? Frozen PE mysis pieces?
The tank is already cycled (has been for months) with live sand and rock. There also some macro in it. It's got a protein skimmer and a HOB filter. Right now there's a powerhead (I think a Koralia 3 maybe?) but I'll probably remove that since frogfish don't need much flow. There's also a colony of clove polyps and some faux sps so that it can perch in those if it decides to. Lights are PC.
Thanks for any information!!

well im very new to this hobby but i got my tank with a 6"-7" angler that was amazing!!! youll love the fish, they have awesome personalities!!! i fed him live goldfish once a week, about 3 at a time. Feeding time is the best youll wanna call your friends over...wish i still had him!!!! Ive never fed him shrimp but im sure that will work, he even went after flake and pellet food!

S

saxman

[/lurking]
nice A. ocellatus, you have there!
you're on the right track in terms of feeding schedule, but please, Please, PLEASE stop feeding it live goldfish or other freshwater feeders.
besides containing the wrong fatty acids for good SW fish nutrition, the flesh of most FW feeders, esp. the carp family contains the enzyme Thiaminase, which interferes with the fish's uptake of Thiamine. this results in shorter lifespans due to nervous system disorders, clamped fins, cessation of feeding, and death.
IME, anglers are pretty easily weaned onto dead foods, and will readily eat from a feeding stick. give it a mixed diet of fish, shrimp, squid, scallops, etc. also, don't feed larger sized chunks. smaller pieces are more easily digested, and as you know, anglers have a slow digestion system.
good luck with the ocellatus
[lurking]

dive girl

Thanks Greg! I appreciate the answers, just hated to bug you yet again!

That IS a beautiful angler!!
I've also read that krill is a huge no-no!!! I make my own fish food so I'll be set in trying to wean it over.

ya after i got rid of the angler i was told that gold fish were a no no!!! But he did seem extremely happy in my tank and loved every single time i popped open my canopy!! so who knows. Good luck with yours!!!! i sure do miss mine!! make sure you post pictures please!!!!

S

saxman

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/3213756

Thanks Greg! I appreciate the answers, just hated to bug you yet again!

That IS a beautiful angler!!
I've also read that krill is a huge no-no!!! I make my own fish food so I'll be set in trying to wean it over.
correct...krill has been linked to lockjaw in many predatory species.