Frogspan

mr. crabs

I have a Frogspawn coral and I just got a pretty big Colt coral. I don't have any where else I can put the Colt at except next to the Frogspan coral. And I'm worried that the Frogspan might sting the Colt coral. So I was wondering if the Frogspan stings like an Anenome.
Please :help:

sac10918

Its called a frogspawn, Mr. Crabs! And yes, I do believe that they will sting other corals that are around them. I have seen them touching other members of their Genus (which is Euphyllia) which includes hammer, torch, etc. however I think it will harm the colt coral. Isn't there any way you can reposition them so they wont be touching or close to one another?

dogstar

I agree with sac. The frogspawn will sting the colt. Colts can do well nearly anywhere so place it on the bottom if you can.

viet-tin

MOst of the corals you touch you wont feel anything. Even anemones you wont feel too often unless they are big like the carpets. I think our skin is too thick for the stinging cells(nematocyst) to penetrate. I could be wrong though but thats what ive always thought

sac10918

I agree with viet-tin. We can't feel the sting (usually) because it doesnt penetrate through our skin. But corals have only a thin layer of "skin" and they are easily damaged by the stinging cells (nematocysts). This is how the frogspawn family secures its space in the wild reef, it stings the corals next to it to make room for itself.

stsweene

Oh yee of little faith. Trust me, anenomes can sting you, and you will feel it. Especially if you have any open cuts on your hands. More so the pissed off ones will get ya. And zoo's are one of the most dangerous corals to work with, make sure not to rip them open against rocks, etc.
And yes frogs will sting other corals. Hammers will do the same.

viet-tin

Well if you have an open cut of course youll feel it. Its an opening in your skin that allows the nematocyst to pass. The only anemone ive actually felt a sting from was my carpet which was 2' and grabbed my arm but it wasnt to bad. Palythoa I think are the deadly ones but not sure since they all do look simular. I sure wish my zoos were poisonous to my darn amphipods...theyre tearing my zoos to shreds...