Frogspawn Care Questions

Y

yoshii

I'm considering getting a frogspawn for my 20gal reef, I've been researching, but I keep finding conflicting info :/
I've read they need high flow, then in other places, I've read they need low flow. I've reading they need intense light, other places I've read they need low-moderate light. I've read their sweepers are 2", other places I've read the sweepers are 10" and other places I've read they are 6-8" I've also read they need very high water quality, and yet again, in other places, I've read they like more "dirty" water. *sigh*
Help please? I just want to know if I can keep one in my 20gal(standard size) reef with 65watt PCs (one bulb is white daylight, the other is full actinic)
If I can keep one with these lights, how far away should I keep it from other corals?
Thanks, Christina

speg

I think you should be fine. They seem to be able to deal with a lot of different lighting/flow because I've seen them thrive in many different placements. I have mine at the highest point of my 12gallon nano that has 2 24w pc 50/50 bulbs. It's in a high light/medium flow area and it does really well.
The tentacles will range in size and as it grows then so will the tentacles.
I'd keep it far enough from other corals that there is no risk of them touching. The frogspawn will even stretch out to nearby coral and try to sting them. It's hard to give you an exact length because frogspawn come in different sizes, but just keep an eye on how far the tentacles extend and keep coral a little further than that (at least).

Y

yoshii

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3269355
I think you should be fine. They seem to be able to deal with a lot of different lighting/flow because I've seen them thrive in many different placements. I have mine at the highest point of my 12gallon nano that has 2 24w pc 50/50 bulbs. It's in a high light/medium flow area and it does really well.
The tentacles will range in size and as it grows then so will the tentacles.
I'd keep it far enough from other corals that there is no risk of them touching. The frogspawn will even stretch out to nearby coral and try to sting them. It's hard to give you an exact length because frogspawn come in different sizes, but just keep an eye on how far the tentacles extend and keep coral a little further than that (at least).
Thank you for such a quick reply! :D
If I get one, I plan on getting a small frag so I wont have a big sweeper problem, then I figure if the sweepers/coral starts getting too big, I can just frag and hopefully trade it in for something else at my LFS
Do you think keeping it towards the top and in a corner will be fine? I just hope the glass doesn't mind getting stung

speg

It may. It all depends on the flow that it receives there because it does need at least some amount of flow.
If you can get a branching frogspawn it'll make it much easier to frag. i got a tiny frag from my LFS and after like 3-4 months it's much much larger.
Originally Posted by yoshii
http:///forum/post/3269363
Thank you for such a quick reply! :D
If I get one, I plan on getting a small frag so I wont have a big sweeper problem, then I figure if the sweepers/coral starts getting too big, I can just frag and hopefully trade it in for something else at my LFS
Do you think keeping it towards the top and in a corner will be fine? I just hope the glass doesn't mind getting stung

Y

yoshii

Originally Posted by Speg
http:///forum/post/3269368
It may. It all depends on the flow that it receives there because it does need at least some amount of flow.
If you can get a branching frogspawn it'll make it much easier to frag. i got a tiny frag from my LFS and after like 3-4 months it's much much larger.
Ill have an Emperor 400 HOB filter, and I'm thinking about buying a K1 or nano size to add more flow