Frogspawn making a new head?

hops523

So I have a frogspawn with two heads right now. I have had him for a little over a month now. He seems like he is doing really well right now. I did have some issues with him falling out of the crevice I had him in when I got him, but now he is in a secure spot, somewhat near the top of the tank. I notice yesterday that one of the mouths isnt just one circle, but more like it is kind of split halfway between. Its kind of hard to explain, and I tried to get a pic, but I cant get a close up of it.
Does this sound like one of the heads is making a new head? Oh and if someone had a pic of either a normal mouth of a frogspawn, and a mouth that is splitting, I could explain it better.

morval

yup its splitting the process will take a lil bit till you have a totally new stalk. the also pop baby heads in the form of buds from near the bottom of the fleshy part on the stalk.

hops523

How long will it actually take te mouth to form? And I know you just explained it,but Im a little confused about the little head forming at the bottom of the head. What do the look like,and if this happens will I be able to tell? Also is it common for frogspawns to grow new heads this quick? Ive only had him a little over a month.

paintballer768

So LPS corals still split their heads to reproduce? I thought it would bud at the bottom like others, but Ive never had one before

A

alexmir

Originally Posted by hops523
http:///forum/post/2640484
How long will it actually take te mouth to form? And I know you just explained it,but Im a little confused about the little head forming at the bottom of the head. What do the look like,and if this happens will I be able to tell? Also is it common for frogspawns to grow new heads this quick? Ive only had him a little over a month.
The little heads will sprout at the bottom of the flesh, right where the flesh meets the skeleton.
They will look like a little baby stalk, and after a few weeks will look just like a baby frogspawn!
2 of my heads had 4 baby sprouts and 2 other ones split.
The ones that split had no sprouts, and the ones with sprouts were not splitting.

hops523

lately ive been trying to get pics of the mouth to show you guys, it still looks the same. When I do get a chance to see the mouth some days it will look like two seperate mouths, and then other days it looks like one mouth but a little larger than a regular mouth, and it looks like there is a closing in the middle.
Another thing I have noticed about the head that looks like its going to split, is that the base of it looks larger, somewhat inflated compared to the other head.
Does anyone have any pics of a frogspawn or hammer coral splitting at the mouth?

nano reefer

during splitting make sure you feed in some phyto ad another type of food. I find that ensuring my phyto is dosed regularly, and doubling my dose of Ultra Min F, splitting time is cut in half. I had a 4 head frogspawn that is now 8-10 heads after 4 months.

hops523

Could I squirt some mysis shrimp on him right now? And how long does splitting usually take? Oh and by the way here are some pics...Not the best, but I tried to get the pics really quick yesterday, when I could see the mouth, sorry for the blurriness. I dont know if you can really tell that the mouth may be splitting in two though.