Frogspawn or hammer okay?

lizzy

Hi I was wanting to start putting corals into my tank and I was wondering if a frogspawn or a hammer coral would be okay to start out with? are they easy enough. I know that shrooms and zoas are the easiest but would it be okay to start with a frogspawn or hammer? if not then i'll just get a shroom or zoa. My lighting is two 95 watt pc's. and i have a 65 gal tank. I havent checked water for a couple days but I will check it before anything new goes in and make sure its good to go!

nycbob

shrooms and zoas r easier, especially with ur light. frogspawn and hammer r medium when it comes care level. they like low and medium flow. put them high up with ur light.

lizzy

Cool thanks. Is there anything else i would need to know before I bought one of these? from reading on here I would feed it a variety of diff things. (cyclopeeze, mysis....) is that right? and calcium is supposed to be at 400-450?. anything else special? Thank you for your help!

nycbob

no need to really feed them. perhaps 1x per week is sufficient. just keep ur water parameters stable. 0 nitrate, nitrite and all the other stuff.

earlybird

I recently got a nice frogspawn which is under 130w pc so I put it on the top of my rocks. It appears to be doing very well. Likes medium flow.

lizzy

cool. Thanks for the input! I'm looking at getting more pc's if my husband will let me which will kick my wattage up a bit. I'm going to have two light hood things on top of my tank...the new light has fans though so that would be good.

shrimpi

just keep it high up in a corner or something- not only due to your lights but because you want it to spread out and the top of the tank is a great place for that!
target feed with small chunks of food weekly IMO. My torch (similar lps) doesnt really react to the cyclops the way other corals do in the tank, but you can try.. its just harder on your bio.
Good Luck! oh yeah... start with a small frag so if you lose it (kill it ) it doesnt hurt as much. That way you can monitor its growth easier and see how its doing in your system.
Other than that.. get some shrooms! there are some pretty ones out there! Just stay away from yumas in the beginning as they can be harder as a 'first' coral.
Jess