Frogspawn question???

ocgirlygrl

Does my frogspawn need to eat anything? Should I be spot feeding it? The first few days I got it, it branched out great, but now it will not branch out. I have checked my water and all tests say my water is great. Any help would be great! Thanks!

clarkiiclo

zooxanthellae is the main part of its diet- it produces this via lights it does like some foods like cyclopeze- small particle foods.
What kind of light do you have?
How old is your tank?
Where is it placed in the current?

ocgirlygrl

I have a 50/50 light thats 65 watts on a 12 gallon eclipse.
I have had the tank set up for 9 months.
its near the powerhead, but in the front of the tank and the powerhead is in the back. is that ok?

ocgirlygrl

nothing is close to him, i've had the frogspawn for 2 weeks now. he looks okay, but he just isnt spread out big like he used to be. but he isn't brown or discolored. about the cyclopeze, where do i buy that to feed him?

clarkiiclo

Most large websites- I think that popular auction site has it too.
No recent changes to the water quality?

ocgirlygrl

nope, no changes in water, it is all great, tested water with salifert tests. i'll try buying some of the food, and hopefully that will work. at least i know im not doing anything to make it worse!
ps-i didn't drip acclimate him...i floated him for 30 min....would that kill it?

cmack

I used to spot feed mine Mysis shrimp (once per week), and the next day it would look much better (Fully expanded, healthy). Also try and reposition the powerhead, Make sure it is not aiming directly at the coral...mine seemed to prefer lighter current, and would retract if it was too strong.

nm reef

Mine has never liked a strong direct current....I winder if yours may be getting too much current?:thinking:

manjisann

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I am just wondering is her lighting enough? I have thought of putting some in my 20 gal. tank and I have 130 watts of pc on it, what do you think.

X

xnikki118x

A friend of mine spot-feeds his shrimp pellets, and sometimes real shrimp from the supermarket. Not a whole shrimp of course, just a small piece. But they seem to enjoy it. :)

dogstar

Good light is the key. I spot feed my about once a week w/ shaved mysid an DTs but I dont think you realy have to. Mild current from under IME. I have this one 1.5 years. It hasnt grow but its healthy I think.

viper_930

Originally posted by ClarkiiClo
zooxanthellae is the main part of its diet- it produces this via lights it does like some foods like cyclopeze- small particle foods.

Corals do not normally injest the zooxanthellae. The zooxanthellae is the photosynthetic algea living symbiotically within the coral's tissue. It absorbs light and makes energy for the coral.

flatzboy

You can feed your frogspawn more meaty foods such as krill and silversides if you want it to grow faster and that goes for all lps. Most lps are pigs the more you feed them the more they eat and the more they grow.:D

yaksplat

I never feed mine. It's grown about an inch and a half in about 10 months. It's also split off 6 new heads. Of course i don't know if an inch and a half is decent growth for a year. But hey, it's more than i've grown in the past 10 years
:)
Jim

manjisann

Yaksplat- what lighting do you have on your tank? Do you guys thing that about 6.5 watts of PC lighting per gallon is enough?

yaksplat

At the time I had 2x96W PC.
I just upgraded my tank to a 120 with 2x250W MH and 2x96W PC. But now the frogspawn is lower in the tank. Before, he was about 1" under the surface.
Jim

saltydog

I don't feed mine directly. He picks mysis and brine out to the water when I feed my fish. I've frag him a couple times. Have a 2nd piece sitting in the tank and just took a piece to my lfs. Seems to be doing fine.
-Salty