Frogspawn slowly dying

re_vogel

Ok, I have a frogspawn that is dying slowly. Also have mushrooms and xania doing good. I also have lost some zoos.
Amonnia, Nitrates, Nitrites and Phosphates are 0.
Tank is two yrs old.
Lighting 175 MH (Frogspawn is directly under light) Bulb is aprox 12 mths old.
Calcium is 440
Salinity 1.025
I know the bulb is a-little old but this is kind of drastic. any thoughts on what could be missing?
Thanks

re_vogel

Do you really think that is what it is. I have a new 10K JBJ Bulb. But that just seems a little extreme. I know people that have used the same bulb for 2 yrs with no issues.

coral keeper

The bulb is your problem, you are supposed to change them out every 9 months or so. You are talking about T-5s, T-5s are the ones that can last for 2 years with no problems.

re_vogel

Thanks, I will replace the existing bulb with the new JBJ bulb I have had for a little while. What type of 175 watt 10K bulb should I purchase to use going forward. Also, since I need to purchase a new bulb anyway I am considering upgrading to 250K. Is there a different type of bulb you would recommend for the upgrade, what about the ballist?. Sorry to pick your brain but you oviously kknow more then me about lighting.
Thanks

coral keeper

Hey, I'm not sure what kind of bulb or ballist you should get. I'm kinda new to MH, so I'm not sure. Lets wait for someone that knows more about MH bulbs and ballists to chem in.

M

markeo99

what size tank do you have
what are your parameters alk calcium nitrates ph how long has your tank been established

re_vogel

Since I need to purchase a new bulb anyway I am considering upgrading to 250K. Is there a different type of bulb you would recommend for the upgrade, what about the ballist?

M

markeo99

did you edit or am I going nuts all your info at the top?
by 250k do you mean 250 watt
if you are the bulbs will not fit in the same fixture but can be moded
as far as ballast I have never gone wrong with icecap
and bulbs like a 14k phoenix or xm bulb

re_vogel

i replaced the bulb and it does seem to be doing better. Is there anything I can do to help it repair itself?