frogspawn?

jferrier

I have a nice frogspawn that I obtained as a frag from a friend and for about 2 months it really didn't extend much. It started retracting more during the day and I had no idea what was wrong. The flesh from one branch started becoming unattached (not by strong current) and eventually came right off. Almost the next day the remaining 3 branches opened up completely and ever since have been growing like wildfire. I did recently start adding iodine and kent chromoplex and a new light and this is likely the reason for the growth now, but I had the light before the piece lost its soft tissue. Anyone seen this happen before.

barracuda

Sometimes it takes time to members of genus Euphyllia to adopt to a new environment. If water parameters are perfect, these corals shows really good polyp expansion and nice growth rate. As for iodine, i wouldn't add it as long as you don't test for it. You can simply overdose it and hurt your livestock, as in certain ammounts iodine become toxic.

I just bought a frogsprawn recently and one stem is doing exactly the same thing...the tissue looks discolored and is falling away. I noticed that from the minute I placed the coral in my tank.
I have several stems and the others are doing well. Stay off the iodine if you are doing small water changes regularly. You don't know how much is in your tank....
Good Luck.

jferrier

The owner of my lfs who I trust 100% recommended the iodine, but at lower levels than the bottle called for. I currently use 1/2 the dose and dose every 10 days rather than weekly as the bottle suggests. I've been using it for about 3 months now and have never seen my xenia do as well as it is now.