From Start till.....

leopard_babe

So I am trying to take pictures and post them. So more of less this is a practice thread for me. lol
I started my tank over again.
46 bowfront
Aquatic wet dry/Skimmer included
Pc lights 10000k, aqutinics
Thermometer via aqua 200w
cap 1800 for return
cap 1800 for skimmer
2 cap 200 in tank
This is a work in progress. My house is for sale and for now I am sticking with FOWLR. We will see how long that lasts.

leopard_babe

Ok first set back the heater broke. I guess it could be worse. So I went out and bought a new heater. Now I am waiting for fed ex to get here with my rock. I am so excited I can't wait.
That is sad, when you are excited about getting a bunch of dirty rock. lol

noah's nemo

Wow. i like those rocks,there huge.Wish i could've got some that size when i started,they make mine look like pebbles.Looks like its gonna be looking good in no time!

leopard_babe

Thanks!!! Still no ammonia spike. Just waiting.
Those pieces of rock were really big. There is 1 small piece and a little rubble. They total to 44.5 lbs between the 3.

hefner413

nice start! those sure are large LR pieces! makes deciding on aquascaping a little easier though, eh?
I used cocktail shrimp to cycle my QT. the worms, etc came out of the LR and ate all 3 of them up. I would say that the LR helped with the cycle the most though, so you should be fine with just the LR to cycle.
So FOWLR? Going aggressive again or community?

maxalmon

That particular type of LR is impressive looking, might have to consider that for my next tank adventure...

leopard_babe

I would love to do aggressive, but I my tank is a bit to small for the aggressives I would like to keep.
I would love a small puffer for my tank. I think I am going to try a blue spotted puffer.
I also like the idea of a small school of chromis. I have been doing much research and it sounds like that could end up being aggressive. lol
Hefner413
I love the sf eel, which I see you have in your tank. I just want to know, how do you keep your tank clean with them? I don't think I would want to ever have to stick my hand in the tank with an eel in it. I know they get big, and I think my 46 will be to small.
So right now FOWLR is the plan. The stock list is still in the research process.
Still waiting for the ammonia spike. This paycheck will be the refractometer and new bulbs for the tank.

leopard_babe

maxalon: that lr came from swf.com
It the pieces are huge, and have lots of tunnels in them, and holes for the fish. I have a feeling it will be beautiful rock in time.
I was just cleaning the glass off and noticed some interesting white spots about the size of the tip of my finger. on the inside of my glass not the outside. It is hard to scrape off. It is in 2 spots. What could it be??? Its not salt.

leopard_babe

More goods. So I bought a few more things since I cant spend money on fish yet. haha
ViaAqua Water Pump
Model 360 for inside tank. (I seem to have a big dead spot in the back of my tank)
Arag-Alive
Indo-Pacific Black 20lbs. for a total of about 40lbs
Refractometer
Yeah so much for working that over time.

hefner413

I'm not too worried about the eels. I actually hand feed both the SFE and the zebra. The zebra is verrrry docile - hard enough to get him to eat by hand. The SFE is more active, but still not aggressive enough to worry me. My striped dogface on the other hand - if I gave him the chance, he'd take a bite in a heartbeat.
Cleaning the tank is pretty easy though - I mainly use the Kent pro scraper - 35 inch long arm. My hands don't get wet that way. I also use a large mag float.
I actually also just added two stars - a sandsifting and a choc chip. I'm hoping they help with the cleaning some.
There are eels that are small enough to keep in a 46. I've seen people have eels in the small cubes even. I'm not entirely sure on which ones you can get - but I know there are some lists here on swf. I would go for it - my 2 eels are possibly my fav additions.

leopard_babe

My cc star would climb to the powerhead and get blown arcoss the tank. Every now and then he would land on my porky and go for a ride. That thing was crazy. He didn't do a very good job cleaning though.
I am not sure yet. I am in no hurry. Maybe I could add some pipe to my tank for future fish
I like the idea of an eel. My tank is starting to turn borwn. I just worked the last 2 days. I should check my levels. I will have to look into small eels.

jp30338

nice tank so far!

My lfs has a smaller eel it gets to about 2 1/2-3ft. not sure exactly what it is though. Some type of snake eel though. Its a lighter brown color with white/cream colored dots about the size of a nickel on it.
A golden dwarf eel or 2 would be great but def. pricey!