From T- 5s to VHO

gill again68

So like the title says. I am thinking of taking my T-5s out and going for VHO T 12s. I will get 440 watts from those where I am in the
336 range with my T-5s. Thats also overdriving the bulbs etc. Now here are the questions.
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Do T-5s give better Par value at that wattage then the T 12s will?
Should I go ahead and get another ballast and 2 more bulbs to get to 660?
[/list type=decimal]
All of my stuff does pretty good under my T 5s and its on a 90 gal 24" deep tank. I want to start trying more SPS and Clams and possibly an anemone. I know lighting currently wont support all that I want. So theres the question.
I am currently running an icecap 660 so pushing the 4 T-12s wont be an issue.
Please for now dont try to convince me of Metal Halides. I know, I know, I know but its not what I want. I am not going the LED route either at this time. I can make the switch to T-12s and back to T-5s with very little cost and thats one of the reasons of looking in that direction.
As always thanks in advance for all the help.

nikesb

T5s will give better par and penetrate far deeper than VHO. VHO is really meant only for supplementation. Par is there but not like T5. The only reason I would ever go for VHO is to supplement MH lighting. VHO color can penetrate more than T5.

scsinet

If you're not adverse to adding a ballast and bulbs, I'd add more T5 lamps than switching to VHO.

gill again68

Well I will start researching the Par for T 5s versus the VHO. If anyone has any information here then please put it down. Thanks for the comments peeps.
Ok so T -5 bulbs give a 65 lumens per watt and VHO give around 40. So some of you gurus chime in. Lumens = amount of light correct? More lumens = brighter light?
So a optimal Par value can be had by either VHO or T -5 but watt for watt you get better lumens from T-5. I guess I have read that correctly. So the suggestion to add more T-5s is the best option between the 2.
Sorry to make that seem complicated but I am trying to move from understanding total watts to what are the more important parameters of the lighting. So do I have it right?

nikesb

lumens are no longer something that really measures usable light strength. par value is greatly higher in t5s than vho. par is the best way to measure the strength of lighting right now. generally speaking, you want 250+ par for SPS and clams. 100-150 range is a great range for LPS especially chalice and acans. softies like 50~ range, though zoas are generally put in higher par. but yes, more t5's would be the best option as well as upgrading your reflectors. what reflector are you using? you can also increase par by putting a fan near the end caps of t5. usually the side of the bulb with the brand marking.

reefraff

What the raw lamp will produce is only a small part of the story. T5's are so good because of the reflectors. If you are using good reflectors the T5's will have better PAR than the VHO even with out overdriven them on the IC Ballast.
Personally I would run 6 T5's on regular T5 ballasts. With good reflectors and a fan cooling one end of the lamps you will have enough PAR to grow anything. If you stick to the Ice Cap ballasts make sure you use ATI, Giesemann or KZ lamps. Overdriving beats the crap out of the others.