From the ocean to my tank...

manycolors

My mom went on vacation and she brought me back as a gift, a rock from the shore for my tank. The rock looks close to the other rocks in my tank so it would fit nicely. But the rock was under water on the shore so i'm guessing, living in the rock there are thousands if not millions of living things. I do not want anything bad in my tank, nor do i want any ammonia from it (it has been out of water for almost a week but it's so porus it's still damp feeling) So what is the best/safest way to get this rock in my tank?
if there is a way...
Thanks

renogaw

just put it in a bucket with a power head and a heater, monitor for ammonia...
keep an eye out for anything you don't want, but don't go kill off everything...

forcrz6

I have to say this. I did this just once and killed off my whole tank.
The stuff from the beach is littered with Junk. Oils from cars boats what ever, Not to mention all the chemicals that are dumped.
I would not trust anything from a Beach. Much deeper in the water stands a chance to be corrected for tank use. But the beach is a no no for me. But that is me.

manycolors

Thanks for the ideas, I think i might boil, wash/scrub and then let it dry out for a while, that sound like a pretty safe way to go about it