Frozen and Mysis Shrimp? How do you feed it to your fish help please

rebelprettyboy

I got some bring and mysis shrimp frozen food.. how do I feed it to the fish??? Do i just throw theblock in there or what? can someone give me some tips please and i bought some garlic stuff from da store and i was wondering how do I put it on the food

L

lsu

i thaw the cubes out in a glass of water, pour the water out then put the shrimp in. the water they are frozen in is pretty nasty

Cut off the portion of the frozen block that you want to feen. then dip a bit of water out of the tank. let the piece defrost completely in the tank water. Then just pour it in for a group feed, or use a 1CC syringe for spot feeding.

I didn't think about the water that they are frozen in...hmmm. I have been doing it my way for a while, and I have some hair algae to show for it....wonder if it's related?

rebelprettyboy

ok but im only gonna be feeding on 1/2 clownfish so I wont need the whole block or do u think my green brittle starfish will eat it? how do I put that garlic stuff on it???

OMG you have a half of a clownfish???
j/k, No, i would only use half or less. I use half a block for all of my fish.
My green brittle star doesn't usually show any interest in stuff that small.

jba6511

I do it the same way with cutting off a section, placing it in a cup full of tank water, and then pouring it into the tank. Seems to work well so far.

spanko

Use only the amount your fish will eat completely in about 2 minutes. For a 1/2" fish this is not very much. thaw it in a little water. When thawed strain it out of the water. Do not put the water in your tank, to many nutrients will feed unwanted algae growth. Take thawed shrimp and soak it in a drop of the garlic. using a syringe-turkey baster you can feed the fish and any coral or inverts you may want to spot feed. If just feeding the fish you can just dump it in the tank. Some folks turn off the pumps while feeding, some leave them on. Depends on how active a feeder your fish are. if they like to chase the food leave the pumps on, if they are lazy turn the pumps off. If you turn them off leave them off for a minute or two but don't forget to turn them back on.

renogaw

that or use your fish net. but don't put that water into the tank, phosphates in the cubes will help algae, cyano, etc grow.

spanko

Cool Renogaw. Had not thought about the fish net. Would work well if you have the one with the smaller holes.

susie&jeran

Hehe - thank you for asking this question. Saved me from having to do it. I just bought some lastnight for my clownfish (lost him this morning though) and I had no clue how to feed it to him. I apparently did it all wrong, lol.

susie&jeran

lost him as in dead - we couldn't get him to eat at all so we're thinking he starved to death. We tried everything, he just wasn't interested.

mamasky712

Originally Posted by Neptunes ghost
Cut off the portion of the frozen block that you want to feen. then dip a bit of water out of the tank. let the piece defrost completely in the tank water. Then just pour it in for a group feed, or use a 1CC syringe for spot feeding.
This is what I do also.

azaghalsei

Originally Posted by mamasky712
This is what I do also.
Well.. except it's actually a 13 gallon baster we use for.. "spot feeding". It's also great for fending off shrimp/crabs that like to steal polyp/anemone food! (Water jet, anyone?
)
Ian