frustrated!

benwildog

I havwe had my 110 gallon reef up for around 3 years now and have recently come across 2 major issue that are really trying my patience.
The fisrst issue was I had a Hydroid outbreak which covered 4-5 very large rocks. Killed some of that off, but it left a network of roots all over the rocks and them what i am assuming is hair algae took over ( sort of a brown/ green slimy algae) long strands in some areas. My parameters are all good, according to my test kits. I have cut lights down from 8 hours on the 400 watt MH's to 5 hours and the vho actinics from 10 to 7 hours. Changed 25 gallons of water last weekend. Still no change. Do I need to try to remove the rocks? Or is there something else I can try? Really pretty frustrated. Most of the corals have no change. Polyps are closed and tooth coral not liking it too much. Advice? I also cut feedings way back

ridomart

If you clean-up crew is enough, get a couple sally light foot crabs, they are algae eating fools. Other than that you'll have to take the rock & scrub it in water you have taken out after a water change. I'd try the crabs 1st & look at your water source for Phosphates.Good luck

benwildog

Tested the source water RO/DI unit, and all readings were negative, as of this morning. Gonna change the membrane and all filters this weekend just in case.