Fu Manchu Lionfish

jtrzerocool

ok...as some of you know, my beloved fuzzy dwarf lionfish dicided that he wanted to leap from my tank last weekend(RIP Handsome Rob)...
i have been thinking of a replacement for him...what do you guys think about a Fu Manchu lionfish...i understand that they are a little more pickey about food then tha Fuzzy Dwarf but i am up to the challenge of getting him to eat...i have a 50g reef tank and had absoultly no problems with the fuzzy dwarf...so...what do you guys think of a Fu Manchu Lion???

monkdaily

sorry to hear that especialy since you were the one that convinced me to buy one. mine also passed when my QT crashed. about 3 weeks ago. and now i cant find anotherone around me
. i have also been thinking about a fu manchu to replace him. let me know how it goes if u decide to go in that direction. and once again so sorry for ur lost. my fuzzy mufasa was my favorite.

jtrzerocool

thanks...i was very sad when i saw him on the floor...but i am now moving forward and i am looking for that "center piece" fish...

sepulatian

If you can find one at your LFS that is eating then go for it. How did your fuzzy jump? They are not normaly jumpers and realy don't have the forceful swimming power.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by sepulatian
If you can find one at your LFS that is eating then go for it. How did your fuzzy jump? They are not normaly jumpers and realy don't have the forceful swimming power.
i am not sure how it jumped...i was very suprised my self...the only thing i can think of is that he got spooked and darted upwards...i am going to be looking at mf LFS now...i found the fuzzy dwarf fairly easily so i hope i can find a Fu Manchu fairly easily...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jtrzerocool
i am not sure how it jumped...i was very suprised my self...the only thing i can think of is that he got spooked and darted upwards...i am going to be looking at mf LFS now...i found the fuzzy dwarf fairly easily so i hope i can find a Fu Manchu fairly easily...
Have them feed the fish in front of you. If he goes right after the food then get him. If he pays no attention to the food then either ask them to hold him and try again the next day or skip the fish. They are often very hard to get to eat.

jtrzerocool

do you know how hardy they are though? i have heard that they arnt perticularly(sp) hardy...or is that just because they dont take to frozen food very well?
BTW...thanks for the info...

sepulatian

do you know how hardy they are though? i have heard that they arnt perticularly(sp) hardy...or is that just because they dont take to frozen food very well?
BTW...thanks for the info...
I would not put them at the top of the list of hardy fish. Getting them to eat is the hardest part. If they haven't been eating then it stands to reason that their immune system may be compromised when you first get one. If you can get the lion to eat and keep eating then you can get nutrition into them. You will have to keep a small tank of ghost shimp so that you have live foods to offer. You can gut load the shrimp. Feed the shrimp quality bits of food dosed in vitamins. The lion will get the nutrition via the shrimp.

jtrzerocool

thanks for the advise sap...i will definatly take your advise...i just hope that i can find one now that is already eating...

sepulatian

thanks for the advise sap...i will definatly take your advise...i just hope that i can find one now that is already eating...
Anytime
If you do get one be sure to post some pics for us!