fuge for 29g.

firedad720

i am about to set up a fuge for my 29. and i have two questions
1- i have a 1100 gallon in line pump. will this be two much water flow in a 29 g. and 10 - 20 gallon fuge? if it is what is a good flow rate?
2- will i need to cycle the fuge before i hook it to the main tank?
i have live sand, live rock, and emperior 400 on the main tank.
thanks rick

krunk

i dont know about the cycling, but the pump will give you 37x turnover rater. 50x turnover rate with the emp400. you only need 20x. If you get a 600gph overflow, then connect the return pump too a spray bar, thatd be perfect.

overanalyzer

What I'd do is save water from your next water change to help start your 'fug - if it is sand and caulerpa then you will have to make sure it tests out OK before hooking it up - better safe than sorry!

chevytrks

best just to get the right size pump to start,
stunting a big pump with ball valve, can cause premature failure
of the pump.
just my 2 cents

brooklyn johnny

firedad720 IMO that pump is way too large to plumb through the fuge alone. Depending on what you are keeping in the tank, you may be able to plump the fuge OFF OF that pump, and use the remainder for circulation.
Regarding the second question it's a little unclear. Cycling the fuge? You could just hook it up with properly prepared new seawater, as it will only be about 30 to 40% of the total volume of your tank. The only thing that would cause a problem is if you added uncured live rock to the system.
If you are just adding sand and established live rock I would let it run for a day or so seperate to let the sand settle and then plumb it to the main tank.
That's about all I could offer with the info you gave... Hope it helps...
Johnny
PS- good decision to go with a fuge... the flow rate is not critical, but 1100 gallons would be way too much flow in a 10 gallon coming from 1 pump...

zack schwartz

I think we are talking about waterflow back into the tank, but refugiums like lower flows, i think sell your pump and buy a slower one. In fact I have a pump a dolphin one, i think max flow is like 270gph i think i could get that for ya if you wanted.