fuge questions?????

gwheels

i am building a fuge for my 30 g out of a 10 g tank. Im wondering if you could use a canister filter(Hagen Fluval) as a return pump? would it have enough power to return to the tank above? also, what skimmer would you recommend for this size of fuge? its a work in progress, thanks for your patience.
gwheels

bang guy

Sure... but.... keep in mind that the flow rate will be MUCH slower. don't use any filter material in the canister.

gwheels

would the slower flow rate matter??? and also why wouldnt i want to put any thing in the canister?

fellow

If you use a mechanical pump to return water to the main tank you will kill most living things with the impellar. You need to use a gravity fed return.

goldrush

My fuge(in height) is between my display tank and my sump.Gravity to the sump,then a Y (80% back to display-20% to fuge).Fuge then overflows back to sump.I get pods and phyto back in the display. The impellar does some damage ,I'm sure,but plenty get through.

My fuge empties into the main sump along with the other two tanks (only it bypasses the filter). On the return to the tanks, the water passes through a big external pump, the chiller, and the UV if it is on (it usually is not). I get TONS of pods back into the tanks that originated in the fuge. The fuge is literally packed solid with pods so if a few expire along the route, the population is not impacted.