fuge ?s

rrippent

I will have an overflow that dumps water into a sump/refugium. Does the pump's return rate (GPH) have to match that of the overflow? For example if I were to get a pump that returns 740 GPH would I need an overflow that matches that? I have a 120 GAL (48x24x24). Is there a certain need for GPH for both coming in and going out of the refugium? From the top of the tank to the refugium will probably be around 3-3.5 feet or so (maybe 4 ft.)
Also is via aqua a good brand of pump?

dogstar

You can not pump more into the tank than the overflow can handle or the tank will over flow.
Either match, add or inlarge the overflow to match or be more than the return or devert some of the return back to the sump with Ts and valves and adjust. If the return is too much then also the sump will be pumped dry as the DT floods the floor.
Depending on the flow and size and width of fuge then yes, its possiable for a fuge to have too much flow, will blow around sand and macros, ect.

92protruck

In short..no. It's not the gph of the pump that's so important but the gph returned to the tank. The pump will have head loss going up to the tank and each 90 degree bend, valve, etc. will contribute to more loss. The idea is to have the overflow capable of doing just more than what is being returned to the tank. If you have a 600 gph overflow (and they don't necessarily drain at the rated amount because of bends in the drain or lack thereof, air, back pressure etc.) then make sure you have less than that returned to keep from overflowing the tank. In theory, a 600 gph overflow and 600 gph pump should work out because the pump may only return 400-450 gph or something and the overflow can handle it. You can't have a pump returning 600+ with a 600 gph overflow. You normally add a ball valve after the return pump to back it down if it is too close to out pumping your drain. Hope this helps. Don't know anything about the pump you mention. Many use Mag pumps. I use eheim.

rrippent

that is some good info. My fuge (hopefully, if the purchase) doesn't fall through is rated for a 200 gal tank, i have a 120. I am very new to this so I'll be asking lots of questions. I know the fuge is set to run with an external pump. Are there any drawbacks to an external as opposed to an internal? I don't have an overflow or pump yet, but will hope to get some that work well with my fuge once I figure out what I need.
Also, do you recommend using PVC to run the lines back and forth? If not, what? Also is the regular cleaner and glue you use for PVC safe to use, or do I need some special aquatic form of glue for that stuff?

92protruck

IMO, external pump is the way to go. It gives you more room and more flexibility on which pump. You will not have as much of a heat transfer issue. Some pumps, like Mag, have problems external, leaks, noise, etc. Many people go internal because it is easier to plumb and drop in the sump. No leak worries internal and maybe a little more quiet. If you take the time to plumb an ext. pump with valves and unions for easy removal I think it's the way to go, but just my opinion. You can use PVC or flexible PVC (spa flex) the prefered method (again my opinion). More work, more vibration noise, doesn't grow algae inside, easier to plumb valves/unions and such, looks nicer. Vinyl tubing is popular as it is easy, no connections to glue up, less head loss without the 90 degree bends, but does grow algae in it and requires some maitenance. I have spa flex going to the tank and vinyl tubing returning (got lazy). Regular cleaner and PVC cement works fine.