Fuge/Sump setup will it work?

tigerhawk

Thought I would get others opinions before I cut a hole in my 20 gallon tank. I want to split the line from the overflow to send some of the water to the refugium and some to the sump. Would it be too hard to regulate it? Overflow 3'10" above the sump. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

eng50

Thats a very good way to do it!!! Good design, seems like you have done some research..a gravity system is reported to be one of the best designs.
The only comments on your design are that you may want the refuge to return close to the pump, so the skimmer isnt sucking up the pods...Some are going to die going through the return pump, but not enough to worry about. Where you have the "Y" in your picture, I would add a ball valve so you can regulate the flow to the refuge and set it where you want it. Also don't forget lighting needs to, make sure you have room, etc when designing the heights etc..
You also have the choice, as some here do, of T'ing off the return line to supply the refuge..both work well, and if you search you will see many opinions!!
Your design is sound and proven by many on here, enjoy it and have fun!!
Bill
One other consideration with drilling the refuge return, you may want two holes, one higher than the other to give you a safety zone if the first backs up with caulerpa or whatever..that way hopefully you will catch it before it floods onto your floor!!! Redundancy helps in this hobby!!!

tigerhawk

Thanks for the help, do you think I should "t" it there and then you ball values on both sides? I was looking for a way to control the flow, thanks? Would the values cause any problems with leaking or anything? Thanks for the help on the sump placement.

eng50

The valves should not leak, I use all PVC valves that are threaded and have never had a problem..The second T is really not needed and may make for confusion actually..example, you close them both off accidentally, and then tank overflows!!
restricting an overflow line can lead to problems like the above, where as restricting the return line will just have a lower flow back to the tank..
Broomer prefers the return line T for feeding the refuge, you may ask his opinion as well, it provides a more steady flow that is easily regulated...just another thought..
Bill

tigerhawk

So on the line running from the sump I just have a line come off to the fuge. Sounds good to me. Do I still need to regulate each with ball value? Thanks for your help.

cboyfan2020

i am going to use 2 ball valves. one after the return pump and one after the tee off to the fuge on the fuge line. I am going to use 1" PVC for the drain lines and 3/4" PVC for the return and maybe 1/2" for the fuge line.