FW dip or not? Help please?

rackyrane

:help: Hi all,
I just bought some sweet zoos, a blastomussa frag and a montipora digitata. I was considering doing a FW dip on the zoos but don't know how. I have searched previous threads about it here and don't know what to do or if I should do it.
Please help. I have the corals acclimating right now (tank water). Thanks!

kroch3rd

i dont think you can because the freshwater will kill or damage inverts. thats why you give a fish a fw dip, to get rid of any inverts(the parasites such as ick)

cam78

Heres a question, would it be a bad thing then to dip a fish in FW before adding them to your DT? Meaning when they come from the LFS.

azreefgirl

I was told that zoos could be dipped in fresh water. I had a small frag that only a few opened up, so I was told my lfs employee (who is very knowledgeable when it comes to reefkeeping) to do a FW dip for about 5 minutes and it would help get rid of pests (such as snail/slug eggs, etc) that might be keeping them from opening.

cam78

But keeping them in a Q tank for 4 weeks, now thats a killer. Talk about being patient. Quess I'm not. lol

rackyrane

Has anybody done the FW dip thing? Seems (from old threads) that there is no consensus as to what to do. I still have about 30 min before the acclimating time is up. I trust my LFS and haven't had any problems with the corals/inverts I have bought thus far. However, it only takes once to end up with some unwanted bug in the tank.

catawaba

Unless you see something in the zoos, or on the blasto or monti, I'd just throw em in the tank when the acclimation is finished.

reefforbrains

I would NOT recomend a fresh dip on ANYTHING except fish.
People may have done it and had the item survive, but its asking for disaster, also fresh dips are more in the 15 second range. NOT 5 minutes.
again-to each thier own, but fresh dipping any inverts is very very dangerous. Something like a brittle or urchin will die almost instantly.

reefforbrains

me personally yes, well sometimes yes sometimes no, theres really not too much I worry about on corals as far as hitchhikers.
I just QT something if it doesnt look good, dont want something potentially dying in the tank when it could be prevented. If you are hand choosing your specimens then just look very closely and you should be able to see most everything without much worry