FW - Gourami problem

mrsgoose

Hi - I was wondering if anyone knows why my dwarf gourami is getting a distended belly? I've had it about 6 months and lately I've noticed its belly is swelling right behind the gills, even making the scales stick out a bit. Its eating and swimming fine, no change in behavior. I've attached some pics. Tank is 55g, live plans, large school of bloodfin tetras, 3 giant danios, bala shark, sprakling gouramis, all doing very well. ANy thoughts? I've attached a few pics.
Thanks!

michaeltx

almost looks pregnant! how many gourami's do have in there. and are any other fish starting to look bloated and what are you feeding them.
Mike

mrsgoose

yeah, that's what I was thinking, but it's the only dwarf I have, the other two are sparkling or croaking gouramis. I have 14 bloodfin tetras, 3 giant danios and a bala shark, and they're all doing very well. I feed flake food once a day and frozen spirulina brine shrimp once a week. I definitely don't overfeed. This fish does eat eagerly, so I'm wondering if it has a parasite of somekind in its belly that may be stealing the nutrients?

michaeltx

might be. I dont see anything in the foods that you listed that would cause a bloating situation. I wander if the dwarfs can breed with the regular sized gouramis. I wil look around tomorrow and see what I can find though and see if there are any diseases that may contribute to that just to rule out things.
Mike

reefkprz

do the scale tips look lifted? if they do then I would agree with Sep. probably dropsy. could also be an impacted digestive tract wich can be cured simply by feeding him some blended peas. (weird but it works)