G. melatremus with smaller fish?

R

regina13

What do you think about putting a G. melatremus-(dwarf golden moray) in a fish only tank with like, clownfish? Would that work?
I would love to get one, but also want some smaller fish. Maby not clownfish, but around that size. I am just not shure if it would bother them.

R

regina13

I have heard that. I have also heard it can live with smaller fish b/c of its size.

stdreb27

I don't see why not, they only get about 10 inches long. Just make sure it is a more mature clown. And the eel is coming from the pacific. Most of the time they are collected out hawaii.

reef_dart21

I would say no, although the whole fish probably wont fit into his mouth whole eels tend to be gruesome. They will first lunge at the gut of the fish at night(they hunt mostly then) then kill it and munch on it peice by peice........my green wolf eel did it to my clowns :/

stdreb27

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume.../eels/Eels.htm
The next two Eels on the list are often confused with each other. These are the diminutive Golden Moray of the Pacific and its larger cousin, the Golden Moray of the Atlantic. Both are seen in the aquarium trade under the common name “Golden Moray”. The Pacific Golden (Gymnothorax melatremus) is one of the smallest of the true Moray Eels, reaching an adult length of less than eight inches. The Atlantic Golden (Gymnothorax miliaris) is more than 24 inches as an adult, but is still small enough to be a good candidate for many home aquariums.
The more common and less expensive "Golden Moray", G. miliaris from the Caribbean is a good aquarium subject.
G. melatremus is somewhat reclusive and spends a lot of time hiding in crevices. In the wild they will even occupy larger holes in sponges. In most cases, even when hiding, the Eel’s head will be apparent protruding from the rocks. At such a small size, this eel is only a threat to tiny fish and small crustaceans. Coloration varies, but the most prized (and expensive!) specimens are a striking golden yellow. These Eels are collected primarily from Hawaii. If you want to make sure you’re ordering a G. melatremus and not a G. miliaris, be certain that the fish is arriving from the Pacific Ocean!
G. miliaris is the more commonly encountered an much less expensive “Golden Moray” and also makes a wonderful reef fish. Unlike many Gymnothorax, they are not overly aggressive. Their natural habitat is sandy flats and rubble zones, a condition easily replicated in an aquarium with some decent floor space. Unfortunately, at two feet long, the Atlantic Golden Moray can’t be trusted with small fish or most crustaceans. The best looking G. miliaris are collected in the waters off the coast of Brazil. Again, keep in mind that if you are getting a Golden Moray and it is coming from Brazil or the Caribbean, it will be the bigger Golden, not the tiny Pacific variety.

R

regina13

I am getting about 50/50 here so I don't know what to think... haha

I now people don't like when you keep asking for more opinions, but I am still going too. (sorry!)
Does anyone have one that would like to comment?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by regina13
http:///forum/post/2609630
I am getting about 50/50 here so I don't know what to think... haha

I now people don't like when you keep asking for more opinions, but I am still going too. (sorry!)
Does anyone have one that would like to comment?
I just don't see how a 6 or 7 inch eel will eat a full grown perc.

R

regina13

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2609636
I just don't see how a 6 or 7 inch eel will eat a full grown perc.
I don't think it would either... I just want to make shure. Thats all!
By the way, thanks for the info.!