gah - damaged linkia recieved (ophi)

saltn00b

well i got a nice shipment today except for one of the blue linkias, its a bit beat up. i am hoping it was just stress. it is acclimating now, i am shooting for 4 hours. i took a few pics below - i think if it is acclimated well, it should bounce back and regen, right? :thinking: :help:

ophiura

WOW, that does not look good.
Yeah, in theory if acclimated to an ideal system in terms of water quality, it could regenerate. But if that is acclimation shock or something from a previous stop in transit, then it may already be too late. I would certainly acclimate as normal...but yikes, that isn't good. :(

ophiura

I don't see why not. You have a large enough system that I don't believe it would impact it water quality wise.

saltn00b

ok , thanks for the fasy reply. i am gonna drop it in after 3.5 hours drip, and i am sending these pics to the seller, i am sure i will get a refund, but i wasnt really worried about that, i just wanted a nice blue linkia - i gave the good one to my brother! *it was his birthday present, so i had to lol.

saltn00b

lol grub -
well this morning it looks worse but after second glance, i think the fleshy dead stuff was either picked off of it or fell off, because the wound area looks smaller in area / volume and cleaner. the circumference of the joint of the leg is noticeablly smaller now, and the main support structure (bone like, and brown) is showing barely. it has managed to move all around the rocks tho with apparent ease, and despite the uglyness looks fine.

snapperboy

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
by chance did the crab get it. i mite b mising someting, but crab did it was my first theory. hahahaa
This was my first thought too but in a little different way. I thought that the crab may be going after the dead/dying tissue, and wasn't the cause of the wound. Hopefully there is something in your tank that will think this as well and will help clean/treat the wound. good luck

saltn00b

well that is a white anenome crab, about as reef safe as you can get, as they are strictly filter feeders. the star came out of it's own private bag like pictured, and i just acclimate my inverts in the same bucket. the picture may be decieving, but the crab was just hitching a ride on the star for a little shelter / comfort. the fleshy look did not change appearance until after he was entered into the tank and i saw the star the next day. at that point, i am guessing one or more shrimps got to it, and cleaned out all the dead flesh, because it was all gone. the star so far SEEMS to be doing well, everytime i look at the tank he is on another rock squeezing himself in and out of crevices. ill take more pics tonight.

saltn00b

the leg is still carrying on, it is not disintegrated or antything as of this morning.
also, i was watching the wound closely it just looked like the white fibers were just continuously floating away ...
have you ever seen this type of damage or disease or wound before?