Galaxy SIII or Iphone5

acrylic51

All right guys.....Help me decide....ready for a new phone....Been on this Iphone 4 for the past couple years.....Trying to decide if I want to go Galaxy SIII or stay with the Iphone5......Haven't really had any issues with the Iphone, other than dropping it and running it over with an 80,000lb trailer.....And no it didn't work after that, but you couldn't tell I had did that to the phone......Anyways, give me some pros and cons of both.......

reefraff

I got nothin LOL! I have a dumb phone cause I don't use one enough to justify the data plan for a smart phone. The wife has a crackberry and I think is leaning towards the galaxy rather than iPhone for the upgrade. We will get her whatever we can get the best deal on, galaxy or iPhone. There just isn't that huge a difference between what they do. You need to make a list of what you want/need your phone to do and then research the apps available. My wife just needs to be able to access citrix and email for work cause they pay us 85 bux a month for her to have it.

dragonzim

The Note is HUGE! If you want a very large phone, its great, but it is damn big. I have the Galaxy S3 and absolutely love it. I also have an iPad and have set up quite a few iPhone 5's for users at work. Personally, I think the S3 is a getter phone, but if you're stuck in the Apple ecosystem you may want the iPhone.
Also, not sure what kind of rush you are in, but the Galaxy S4 will be out in a few months.

2quills

I'd wait for the gs4. The note ll is just a little to big for me to be carrying around on my hip all day and the gs3 is pushing the limit as it is but I do like the bigger screen vs the iPhone.
And thank god for Ballistic cases. I'd probably be on my 5th gs3 if wasnt for this case.

2quills

Otterbox all the way!
I had one of those for my old blackberry. I think ballistics are better cases. Though I haven't looked at any otter boxes lately.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/394741/galaxy-siii-or-iphone5#post_3513539
I had one of those for my old blackberry. I think ballistics are better cases. Though I haven't looked at any otter boxes lately.
Looks like pretty much the same thing. I've had the Otterbox Defender on 2 different phones now and they've been great. The company's customer service is also pretty fantastic. I broke the holsterbelt clip on both cases and each time they sent me 4 brand new holsters for free in case I break them again. Never had any problem with the case itself, just the holster.

novahobbies

Galaxy SIII for me. I love mine. Big but not TOO big. I'm honestly not an Apple fan, so I admit my bias. But the iPhone5 feels a little clunky in the hand for me, and my boss's is constantly losing memory and needing reboots. Now that just might be his, but it still drives another wedge between me and Apple products when I have to go over and rescue his phone.

acrylic51

Definitely not in a huge rush.....Basically tired of the IPhone.....Screen sucks IMHO....I will vouch for the Otterbox cases.....After running my first IPhone over with an 80,000lb trailer and not a scratch on the phone.....Speaks volumes......

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394741/galaxy-siii-or-iphone5#post_3513925
Definitely not in a huge rush.....Basically tired of the IPhone.....Screen sucks IMHO....I will vouch for the Otterbox cases.....After running my first IPhone over with an 80,000lb trailer and not a scratch on the phone.....Speaks volumes......
I thought you crushed that phone and had to get a new one?
Yeah, I'd wait for the GS4. I waited a few months for the GS3 to come out last year after I was ready to cash in on my upgrade discount for the wife and I and we love em. The screen was really the biggest seller for me over Iphone as well as the specs at that time. LOVE the screen!!! I've never really gotten over the time when Apple hijacked my Itunes account and started shoving their products down my throat in order to continue using what I payed for. But, I digress. I like having options.
Camera's good, the software runs smooth, handy gps, room for my fingers to type...I don't ask much from a phone but the things I do like, it does pretty well.
I think the otter cases and the ballistic cases or both the top two when it comes to quality and durability. I put my phones through A LOT of abuse. So when my phones start costing as much a computer I need to keep em protected. I fumbled mine again today, I think this makes the 6th time it's hit the concrete and not a thing wrong with the device at all (knock on wood). I go for the ballistics cases now more from material stand point. I like the more tactical looking design with different textures and feel to it. It's not slippery in my hand as much as the otter box was.
I got this one here...

acrylic51

I did crush the phone....Appearance wise you would have never known it was run over.....it damaged the screen that you couldn't read it, but phone still had full power.....I'm just saying.....shear pressure of 80,000lbs and you would assume that the thing would be flat as a pancake.....

acrylic51

Is it water proof Corey.....Supposedly the new Defender cases by Otterbox are.....My biggest issue is dust in the case....You've been there all the fine sanding on the stand and stuff....No matter how much I try to cover the phone is till attracts damn dust......

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394741/galaxy-siii-or-iphone5#post_3513930
Is it water proof Corey.....Supposedly the new Defender cases by Otterbox are.....My biggest issue is dust in the case....You've been there all the fine sanding on the stand and stuff....No matter how much I try to cover the phone is till attracts damn dust......
Yes, well they are water resistant the same as the otter boxes. But the GS3 is capable of being submerged under water for a short period of time anyway so it's just extra protection.
I fix up houses and do a lot of hvac installation and repair. So on any given day I may be doing demo, or hanging drywall, cabinets, flooring, carpentry or crawling around in atticks. I don't think there is a case built that can completely keep dust out of my personal cases entirely unless it's hermetically sealed. Either way I think it's every bit as capable as my old otter box was but I actually like this case better. I believe it may in fact and arguably be considered a slightly more impact resistant case if you happen to drop the phone on one of it's corners.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/394741/galaxy-siii-or-iphone5#post_3513934
But the GS3 is capable of being submerged under water for a short period of time anyway so it's just extra protection.
Never saw anywhere that stated this so I would be careful... There was talk before the phone came out that they were thinking about making it water resistant but I havent seen anything that definitively says that it is.

2quills

Never saw anywhere that stated this so I would be careful... There was talk before the phone came out that they were thinking about making it water resistant but I havent seen anything that definitively
says that it is.
Yes it was rumored. And there are videos floating around of guys purposely dunking theirs underwater. I think tje design allows for this of Its quickly retrieved out of the water. Although I personally wouldn't go out of my way to test it with mine. And I doubt that Samsung would go out of thier way to advertise it from a liability stand point.

S

siptang

Did you decide on the phone shawn?
I would prefer note 2 if you didn't get one already.
then s3
then
iphone 5.
not a big iphone fan.