Garden Eels

big dave

Hi. I have been trying to research these guys for a while and can't seem to find any infomation other than they need a really deep sand bed. How big do they get? I want to set up a reef flats biotope which would include 3 of them and several kinds of macro algae. If this isn't possible, I want to do the same thing but with jawfish. They will be in a 29 gallon tank. If I do jawfish I want to put 5 in there and thats it. I know that is overloading but I keep good water quality in my other tanks and dont really mind doing constant water changes. I want to put 5 in because I have heard they do ok in groups of even #s. Any input on my ideas is appreciated.

von_rahvin

i have seen some in the wild that grow large, i have never seen one smaller than 15 inches give or take. they like to dig their holes vert so it would have to be a REALLY REALLY DSB. jaw fish on the other hand in my opionion are great things!!! i just love them. they build little forts out of the rocks in the bottom of the tank. I have a 3-4 DSB and they are quite happy.