garibaldi

fishysam

Anyone have any experience with this fish? I pulled a stupid move and bought the fish for my 70 gal FOWLR. I have a really knowledgeable LFS that I trust but I think they failed to inform me completely. They told me how big it would get and how they can be aggressive and need a varied diet including greens to maintain their color, but they forgot to tell me about their temperature needs. Anyone have success keeping this fish in tank with a temp. around 76 degrees?

azzala

Dr Burgess's Altas of Marine Aquarium Fishes suggest a temp of 75F. You may have already known that and are asking for someones personal experience with this fish. That I don't have.

pufferlover

I have seen them and they are pretty but as I re call they are from the Damsel family so therefore can be aggressive. Also, I believe they are the state fish for California (read that somewhere and that they are the only marine fish used as a state fish.Oh well a little trivia can't hurt.

pufferlover

I stand corrected as to Calif being the only state. Frankly I did not know they are supposed to be illegal as I have seen them in every fish store around here I visit, not all the time but every so often they appear as juveniles.
[ May 06, 2001: Message edited by: Pufferlover ]

grouperhead

alabama has a state fresh and saltwater fish. the fresh water being the largemouth bass, the saltwater being the tarpon. as for the garibaldi, they are incredible fish. beautiful in color, and they get really big and agressive. they do best in cool tanks with fish such as catalina gobies. hth, bo

kimmisue

The last time I was there I was told that it was a 500.00 fine if you were caught trying to catch one..
Kim
Originally posted by Trey:
<STRONG>Yep, illegal as all get out to capture in California waters, last time I checked, and as I recall, illegal to even possess in California.
That doesn't really sound right, though, does it? I mean, they aren't going into Mexico and being brought in via Arizona, are they?
( or are they? )
I'm sure any one of the many Californians here can set us straight...?
Alabama's Saltwater State fish is the Tarpon, I think.</STRONG>

lionfish

LionFish says......
Well, they are from the Damsel family and they can have a nasty attitude towards just about anything. I knew they were illegal but to get one all the way up here in Michigan is pretty amazing. Please tell me you didn't get it from The Pet Station up there. They will sell you anything just to make a buck. I have always admired them but as they are illegal I haven't seem any in awhile. They are cool fish, wish I could have one. If you keep cool temps, around 75 it should be fine.

pufferlover

After the last couple of posts I think what the article probably meant was that it was the only marine fish that hobbiest might keep that was a state fish. I did see it in Aquaruim Fish Magazine as I remember, and as I stated the ones I see around here are little fellows maybe they are able to breed them for sale I really don't know the answer to that but they are showing up around here.

fishysam

Hey guys thanks for the input, I did a little research the garibaldi is not illegal to keep, it is illegal however to collect them without a permit, but since you need a permit to collect them, that is why they're expensive. I paid $50 for mine which is expensive for a damsel, but the color is gorgeous and those blue dots glow all over it. I live in the metro Detroit area and four or five LFS have specimens. I do know they will get big, mine is a juvenile right now, but I will upgrade my tank within a year or two.

pufferlover

In my case I lost interest in having one because they are from the damsel family and I have seen those little buggers nipping at much bigger fish in the for sale tanks with them. In my old age I am trying to go with more mellow fish, as some of my 5 and 6 year old fish have grown and are becoming a bit more aggressive. In my begining days that was not a problem as nothing lived long enough to do that until I wised up and learned how to do things a bit more wisely.

S

slk3599

The Mexican government has legalized the collection of Garibaldis, so yours may have been imported through there.
I was reading that ounce for ounce they are amongst the meanest toughest turf fighters.
Can get up to 12" and 2 lbs.
If the tank gets to warm they lose color immediately and start hiding. Ideal temp is between 60 and 70 degrees. Probably will have to invest in a chiller, expecially for the summer months.
Bob Fenner writes:
"If you want a colorful, outgoing - to the point of being obnoxious - if you have a tank with a chiller and good thermal insulation, you're looking for a fish to outlive the family dog, and you don't mind it getting BIG and eating you into poverty, this fish is for you"
He also writes that as juveniles this species
is spectaculr. As adults, they may be more appropriate for the grill than the home aquarium. :D :D
If you have a copy of his book, there's a picture of an adult Garibaldi on page 273.
I've seen prettier fish, that's for sure. :p
[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: slk3599 ]

rock cod

I'm from So Cal and yes you need a permit to catch them and they get very big. They are very agressive probably one of the most out of the saltwater fish family. They are found readily off the coast of Catalina and can easily be caught with a fishing pole. We always throw them back because it is our state fish and you will recieve a heavy fine if caught with one.

tonka

They are legal here. It's illegal to collect or catch them at all. $500 fine each. But you can have one as a pet. The LFS has to have a permit for them. BTW they know they're protected! You can almost touch them without them moving! I've watched them spawn. They also "click" (mouth popping noise) when they try to chase you away. They stay within 100ft of where they're born their whole life. Juv. are bright blue.