Garlic Food Aditive

laddy

What exactly does adding garlic to marine food do for the fish? Does anyone know?

lion_crazz

Yep, it entices them to begin eating (since it has a strong odor) and many say that it gives them a boost to their immune system.

laddy

I add a regime of selcon to my tanks diets, which claims the same benefits through fatty acids and such. Am wondering if the only benefit could be to get picky eaters to eat--hence the regal angelfish on the bottle of garlic extreme :jumping:

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Laddy
I add a regime of selcon to my tanks diets, which claims the same benefits through fatty acids and such. Am wondering if the only benefit could be to get picky eaters to eat--hence the regal angelfish on the bottle of garlic extreme :jumping:
Fresh garlic is better. Or crushed garlic from the grocery store. It is more potent. The idea with garlic is not only to intice and boost immune system, it also helps fight certain diseases. If you have ich, for example, it is supposed to ward off the ich. I look at it like this. I give a garlic clove disgised as food to my dog once a week to ward off fleas, has not failed me yet. People use it for many medicinal reasons(cholesterol mainly) and it works. Garlic is a miracle product, why not use it and see for yourself?

fsulax1786

mix it with food, or soak ur food in garlic with diluted water perhaps. I put garlic powder and some peices of actual garlic plant in like 10 ml of freshwater, swish it around and then dip food in there briefly then feed it to the fish. Since ive been doing that i noticed a boost in appetite
i havent tried products like garlic extreme