Garlic in fish food

P

port

:help: I keep hearing about people putting Garlic in fish food, is this regular garlic that you use to cook? If so how much do you add and should I use whole cloves and chop them or can I use the one that is already minced? Any info would be great, Thank you

a short

Port, I just got some garlic additive made by seachem and OH MY GOSH! My fisk went bannanas! I just introduced a new tang who wasn"t eating very well is why I bought some to try and they all couldn't eat fast enouph. My fish were extreamly attracted to the food. I just soaked my regular slow sinking grains in a small cup with a few drops of the garlic. I don"t know if it will help their immunity but all the guys in my tank love the tast! Be aware it really STINKS. angela

jasontk

I was wondering too... would making your own sort of "garlic juice" be anywhere near as useful as the expensive garlic extract solutions such as the Kent extreme garlic? Seems like it would be a lot cheaper.

a short

just a interesting fact I wanted to add, My cleaner shrimp have now turned kinda green/brown like the garlic juice I use to soak my food in. I guess you really are what you eat, hope I don't start looking like cheeseburgers!
As far as making your own garlic mix I am no expert but do buy galic to cook with and to get a lot of juce/pulp mix would take alot of work and smell and you couldn'tt make much up at a time for risk of spoiling in fridge. The sea chem I have also has vit C added. It was just about $10 and will last probally 2 years with just a couple drops 2-3x daily with food, well worth not having the hassel for me anyway.

dana&pj

From what I have researched, the part of the garlic that has healing properties is released when the garlic is cut. This is the plant's way of preventing infection. So, the best way to get the good stuff into the fish (short of rubbing them in crushed garlic) is to mince it and add it to food with a little tank water. It's fine (possibly great) if the fish eat it.
I have a fish that has ich and I have not been able to cure it with this meathod, but none of my other fish have gotten sick and I think it's due at least in part to the fresh garlic.
good luck!

fishman830

i LOVE garlic, it saved my sailfin tang and my blue hippo tang, who were both sick one with ich, and the other with... some other diese i'm unsure of the name.

roggy23

ok when you use garlic does that help the immune system of the fish and also how do you apply the garlic...
say i feed frozen squid- do i cut off a piece of the squid and add some drops of the garlic onto the squid in a cup and let it soak?
is that correct procedure?

dana&pj

I mince the garlic into the tiniest pieces possible. Add it immediatly to the food and then set it out (if the food was frozen) or in the fridge (If I'm using fresh food) for thirty minutes to an hour. I try to cut the garlic so small that the fish eat it as well. I also add vitamin suppliments. If I am trying to keep/get my fish healthy, I want to give them every possible advantage.