Gas Exchange

reefnut

Is there a worry about getting enough gas exchange in a nano if you do not run a sump or anything? or will the power heads, skimmer and water changes keep everything ok?

zack schwartz

I have found a power head works good and a power filter on the back. Refugiums and sumps are always good but these will do good for gas exchange.

grouperhead

I didn't run a skimmer on my 20 for 6 months. I had two powerheads (one in each corner) and did weekly water changes of about 2-4 gallons, depending. I had no problems. Bo

justinx

I have a skimmer on mine, so it isnt really an issue, but you can always aim a powerhead at a slight angle so that it points more towards the surface to create more water movement/gas exchange ant the surface.

reefnut

Thanks guys, I will probable run a skimmer but not a sump or fuge. I want a pretty basic setup for the nano.

beaslbob

Originally posted by ReefNut
Is there a worry about getting enough gas exchange in a nano if you do not run a sump or anything? or will the power heads, skimmer and water changes keep everything ok?

The size of the tank is not what deterimes the gass exchange. The important parameter is the ratio of surface area to gallons in that tank. Basically a shallow tank is better than a tall tank. For example a 20g long is much better than a 20g tall.
My 20g long had no circulation and a baby mollie grew from 1/8 inch to 2" in two months even though i did not feed him.
I think you will find that with any circulation any tank (nano or otherwise) will support a variety of life. A shallow will support more with less circulation.