general consensus?

bgbdwlf2500

i see a lot of people say run carbon when say a coral dies. Do most of you not run carbon?
I was running carbon until the last water change (monday). i thought i would stop and see how the tank did because i am dosing Marine C to help with HLLE. i dont see any ill effects knock on wood....
so question is do you run carbon? yes/no and why...
my tank is mainly fish other than an anemone and a mushroom coral...

T

tizzo

I do not run carbon. To do it properly is IMO to expensive and to time consuming.
To change it out at least weekly that is.
If I'm getting company from outa town and I want my tank especially clean and sparkling, I'll throw some in, but it's not that often.

mr_x

i don't run carbon either.
my tank looks plenty clean without it.
my corals usually don't die, but if they did, i'd just remove the dead flesh instead of letting it spoil the tank.

turningtim

I use carbon when I think its needed. Maybe once a month. But I only have it in there for max 3 days and then its removed. I only run GFO all the time.
Tim

nycbob

i run carbon in my reef. i feel it removes whatever organic stuff my skimmer hasnt removed.

morval

i run carbon in my reef but i dont have a sump/refuge so i feel the carbon is just a safety measure to compensate for my lack of bigger water volume.

ifirefight

I also DO NOT use carbon....No real reason...just have not found a NEED for it. I don't have dieing corals etc...so I don't think it is necessary.

kjr_trig

Interesting...Is not using it a Reef Tank thing? I have always run Carbon on my FO or FOWLR tanks, I change it every 4 weeks. Gets rid of odors, discoloration and some waste.

bgbdwlf2500

guess its just a freshwater mentality with me...i run it in all those so i run it in my salt and dont know any directly related issues with the fish except i heard it may have something to do with HLLE and i have 2 cases of that

ive been running carbon in my FOWLR 125g for about 4 months now. i only got it bc the LFS suggested it, but honestly i dont think its done anything at all.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by MustangCaleb
http:///forum/post/2643309
ive been running carbon in my FOWLR 125g for about 4 months now. i only got it bc the LFS suggested it, but honestly i dont think its done anything at all.
as i said in an earlier post now that im not running it my skimmer pulls more out faster

alix2.0

i run carbon a few weeks on thena few weeks off, keeps the tank crystal clear. the only reason i take time off is cause im broke.