Geocaching Anyone??

nyyankeees

A friend of mine recently informed me about this amazing world-wide hobby, that started in 2000, called Geocaching. It's basically like a modern day treasure hunt using a GPS. There are hidden caches all over the world for you to find. You can find them near your own house or if you go on vacation somewhere, they are literally hidden all over the world! Caches can vary. Some are just a small container that holds a log book for you to sign once you find it, while others may have actual treasures in them such as, trackable Geocoins, toys, books, candy, cds, etc... It is common ettiquite(sp) however, that if you take a treasure you leave another treasure in it's place for others to find. I've even found a series near me that I can't wait to do set up like the board game Clue, where each cache contains a person card, a room card and a weapon, then the last cache is called "case closed" and this is where you go last to find out if you've correctly guessed the suspect. This would be a riot with teams, to see who can solve the case first!!
If you're interested you can read all about it and find caches in your area at www.geocaching.com I can't wait to get started.

bronco300

i've done it a couple times...was pretty freakin hard the first time,lol...but its definitely fun if you like that sort of thing, i enjoyed it...i had actually a while back thought of proposing that way, lol...but chose a different method
we tried finding harder ones that they even give gift cards to find...good grief that was impossible!

nyyankeees

Have you guys ever gotten any cool "treasure"? Also, it amuses me that they refer to people who maybe in the area of the cache and unaware of what you're up to as "muggles". In the Harry Potter books, a muggle is someone who has no magical powers, lol.

apelaston

my step dad and my cousin-19 are into that seems like it would be fun on a day when you want to be outside and not couped up.
worth giving a try and i think getting kids involved TOGETHER is a great idea for families and outdoor activites.

ruaround

a person died here last year from geocaching... the cache was on a bridge and he fell off the bridge and drown...
i have never participated, but i have some friends that do it all the time...

autofreak44

i went my first time like 2 months ago and found 2 of the 3 we looked for that day :]
i was bummed out when i found that my gps i have at home wont let you plug in coordinates :/
very fun