Get 2 B&W Perc's or Mixed

alvin

G'afternoon SWF,
I was trying to decide if I should get 2 Black and White Percula clownfish, or get 1 B&W with one regular orange? They also have the

[hr]
ones, but in my opinion, they look weird. OR should I get one B&W with a Semi-Picasso. Our LFS has them all. Hopefully they will have it once I get my tank up and running again. Just curious what you guys/gals would get.

loopy101

a couple months ago i got a mis-bar black and white percs and i love these guys they get along great and also very active! i would go with two of the same color and patterns. i think it would be less of a head ache in the long run.

alvin

Yah, I was thinking of doing the same kind, but I'm also thinking mixing it might be cool. Though I never seen it done before. Hmm

tonysi

It's been done before.I've had b@w ocellaris with the regular ocellaris,they get along fine.Check out photon clowns,they are a mix of b@w ocellaris and percula.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3173812
Now I'm thinking about a Picasso with a Black & White Mis-Bar Clown Fish . Hmmm...

Mixing species of Clowns seldom works , like a Percula and an Ocellaris. Colors don't matter as long as they are the same species. Clowns are one of the few fish we keep that do well in pairs, a pair is very natural looking. Just my opinion, but 2 clowns of different coloring just don't look right. But then, I really don't like the "designer" clowns anyway----nature did a great job on the originals. Its amazing how the breeders found a way to make a lot of $ on what are really "freaks".

skate020

tbh, most mix of clowns will work. well ocellaris, perc and b/w will work. aslong as you dont go nuts and get like a maroon with a perc or something.
jetskiing has a pair, one b/w and one perc. thye get on fine. i used to have 2 pair in my tank, 2 true percs and 2 b/w clowns, and one b/w paired with a true perc instead of the other way round:D
if you wanna breed the clowns, im not sure it'll work with mixed. but for compatibility it'll be great:D
i think, if your into mixing them, get a semi picasso and a b/w clown,
that'll look nice:D

btldreef

I wouldn't pair two different species unless you have a very large tank. More times than not clowns are aggressive to any other species in their environment. It can be done, but do you want to risk dead fish in your tank? If you want two different colors, get an Ocellaris and a B&W Ocellaris. That's your best option of pairing.
IMO, pair them, they look odd to me when they pair differently. I think two B&W's look great in an anemone (especially a RBTA). I have two Ocellaris in my main tank and they bore me now, then blend in so much, I wish I had spend the extra money in the beginning and bought B&W's.
I have heard that the

[hr]
(I know they'll block this word, so you know, the ones without clothes, lol) are not as hardy. Picasso's look odd to me as they get larger. My husband described a large picasso best by saying "It looks like he threw up on himself."

srfisher17

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3175387
tbh, most mix of clowns will work. well ocellaris, perc and b/w will work. aslong as you dont go nuts and get like a maroon with a perc or something.
jetskiing has a pair, one b/w and one perc. thye get on fine. i used to have 2 pair in my tank, 2 true percs and 2 b/w clowns, and one b/w paired with a true perc instead of the other way round:D
if you wanna breed the clowns, im not sure it'll work with mixed. but for compatibility it'll be great:D
i think, if your into mixing them, get a semi picasso and a b/w clown,
that'll look nice:D
You may be right, but IMO & IME, they seldom will get along long term. When a female clown (any species) pairs up and is breeding age; she will seldom tolerate other species.

alvin

Ok, looks like the Picasso might be a bit pricey anyways, I haven't asked yet, I Will ask today, but I will probably stick with 2 Black and White Percs.
Thanks for all your input I greatly appreciate it.
Oh, I finally got my Wave Point T5 Retrofit Kit installed. Way better than my stock bulbs, which I think was a T12 or something? Just the "common" tubes. I just gotta do a few more water changes, then off to buy some fish.

btldreef

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/3175522
Ok, looks like the Picasso might be a bit pricey anyways, I haven't asked yet, I Will ask today, but I will probably stick with 2 Black and White Percs.
Thanks for all your input I greatly appreciate it.
Oh, I finally got my Wave Point T5 Retrofit Kit installed. Way better than my stock bulbs, which I think was a T12 or something? Just the "common" tubes. I just gotta do a few more water changes, then off to buy some fish.

I love the WavePoints, they're a great new light. What bulbs are you running? The WavePoint 420nm True Actinics are a lot nicer than the 460nm stock actinic.

alvin

I am just using the stock one's that came with the retrofit kit. The Blue Wave and Sun Wave. I figured it would be good enough until they burn out, then I will consider purchasing the Reef Wave ones, or just get ATI's, but that'll be another thread when that time comes. I will create a thread of the Retrofit Kit sometime this week.

skate020

where im from ALL medium sized clowns are same price.
B/W, ocellaris and true percs are all £20.
i love the orange of the clown but also the black, which is why i went with the true perc that i did:D
i LOVE B/W clowns, but only when there bigger and are fully black, i think there ugly when there more brownish redish when juvi.

btldreef

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3175644
where im from ALL medium sized clowns are same price.
B/W, ocellaris and true percs are all £20.
i love the orange of the clown but also the black, which is why i went with the true perc that i did:D
i LOVE B/W clowns, but only when there bigger and are fully black, i think there ugly when there more brownish redish when juvi.
I've seen juvi's that are full black.