Getting rid of Xenia

nas19320

Is there anyway to spot kill Xenia? The stuff is overunning my tank and its hard to pick off the rocks without leaving a little bit of flesh that grows into more. Can I kalk them like Aiptasia?

nikkoli110

I would suggest either trying to sell it or give some away, I wish I was closer, I would loooove some!!!!! I have a little in one corner of my tank, buts only about 2 stalks and 2 inches of it right now.
Also, I have read many forums about creating a xenia regugium, maybe placing it in there to help with nutrient export?

nas19320

I did that for a while to my LFS but now even they don't want any, its kind of like a weed for me. I thought it was cool when I first got it and I thought it was really cool when it started to spread a little. Had I known what it would become I would have never gotten it. The only reason I don't completly get rid of it all is because my Tomato clown has decided to host in it.

nikkoli110

Ooh now your making me think twice about it! Mine looks like its going to start spreading from the rock it came on, onto my other lr in the tank. But I dont want it overtaking the other corals. Hmm...

S

sebae0

iam almost to the same problem as above bought one small stalk and now it has blossomed into about 27 and looks like a xenia forest in my tank.

nas19320

Yeah except that they somehow find a way to jump all over that tank. A little piece that gets broken off somehow will find a new spot and start growing. And like I said noone around here wants anymore Xenia.

nikkoli110

Yea that looks like mine too, I wasnt sure exactly when I bought it, they just said it was Xenia. How can you tell when it looks like its going to split or spread? I can tell on mine that one of the bottoms where it is attatched to the rock, its spreading onto the other rocks I have. Also, one of the stalks looks like it is going to pop out something out of the middle of it, at first I thought something ate it, but all my fish are reef safe, and I havent seen anything else, but now it looks like its bulging out.

bigarn

That bulge is going to be another stalk...I have them also. They started at the bottom, split and worked their way to the top. Plus they insist on reaching into the flow from the PH.
What's up with that? :thinking:
:D

K

kpatrick

Nas,
I had a bunch of xenia overrunning a section of my tank and I was able to kill it with carbon dust. I was adding a carbon filter to one of my pumps for a different problem and when the water hit the carbon it released carbon dust and bubbles into the tank right on top of the xenia. The next day most of the xenia had died off in that area. Not sure what exactly happened but I know the Xenia didnt like it.:notsure:

ross

Try to keep on just a few rocks, otherwise it will overtake all ur corals. My tank is overrun w/it but luckily my lfs pays me good for it and i am making about 90-100$ store credit a month.

chinnyr

I've made almost a $1000 off mine in the past year.Now,the lfs have got it to take off in thier systems and frag thier own.I wish I had a cure for the Xenia exlosion I have.I have even gone as far as taking ALL the rock out with it on it.And,it still came back with a vengence.I am moving my tank soon and will have to do my best to take out what I can ,again!Here is a pic from a few months back,before I took out the "mother load".Oh yeah,I have the pom pom kind.Stuff is really neat to see 500+ stalks pulsing away!

masterzeus

In my experience, Xenia is very sensitive to changes in water chemistry, temperature and lighting. Since you probably have other corals in there, you probably don't want to mess with too much stuff, but you could try raising or lowering the temperature a couple degrees and put the heater right next to it. I had a heater get stuck on for an entire night and raised my tank about 10 degrees (to about 87 degrees). It killed off almost all my Xenia, but all the other corals were fine.

nas19320

My Xenia is pretty bullet proof, I've had my tank up to 86F and I've dumped cool water on them and they shrink for an hour then come back like nothing ever happened.