getting XENIA, ZOOS, and MUSHROOMS to spread

blitz99

i currently have one bubble, one frogspawn with 5 heads, xenia, and mushrooms... i will be adding zoos next..
my question is: how do i get the mushrooms, xenia, and zoos to spread throughout the tank?

bigarn

Originally posted by Blitz99
i currently have one bubble, one frogspawn with 5 heads, xenia, and mushrooms... i will be adding zoos next..
my question is: how do i get the mushrooms, xenia, and zoos to spread throughout the tank?

Place them by rocks...they'll spread. :D

blitz99

it's that simple?
my water is great right now.. and has been all along.. sure i use tap and get the algea outbreaks here and there but it's all good.
what makes them decide to split and propegate?

dacia

My mushrooms haven't stopped spreading since I put them in the water...and I now how 2 colonies of zoos when I only bought 1. Just keep the water quality high, place the corals on other rocks, and wait with patience. Someone else from this board once said that the only thing on earth that would survive a worldwide nuclear war is purple mushrooms...

fishfreek

To get your shrooms to spread, try aiming a power head at them to put them in med to high flow. They dont like this and they will want to move. When they move they will leave small pieces of them behind and each piece will become a mushroom in time. For xenias, i also put a pece of rock next to it just so it touches the side of the coral. It will move to the other rock and usually split at that time leaving part of t behind.
As far as your bubble and frogspawn go, i would say that if good water quality and proper lighting requirments are met, they also should grow but will not nessessairly spread. HTH

N

nyyanks514

I agree with fishfreak, place a rock near the xenia and they will move. Sometimes under good water and light they will simply split down the middle themselves. I have also found xenia will grow up toward the light.
Zoos should grow pretty easily too, I've heard that aiming a power head at them will get them to grow with the current, though I havent ever tried it. I guess you dont want to cut Zoos without somesort of gloves on, they can be toxic.
As for the purple mushrooms, I got one from my cousin, and now they are carpeting my tank. Some are huge, 3-4" across!They are actually encroaching on and beating up some of my ricordea now, so im going to have to "harvest" some to avoid them killing everything. Xenia are cool, but be careful with the purples mushrooms. They may take over everything!

blitz99

the xenia are actually splitting, i didnt know this was them trying to spread.. i thought i had to frag them to spread them about...
as for the mushrooms, i BELIEVE i have green spotted ones... they got little green dots all over them...
i cant wait till i am battling them spreading.

melkor

Hey Blitz, I messed up. Tried to reply to your thread, and accidently made my own. Check out my accidental thread of "Toxic Zoos". It was meant to go here.

nas19320

Here you go Melkor:
Originally posted by Melkor
No need for anyone to go into it, I know about the properties of Zoos, but have been fragging them for a long time (without even washing hands afterwards--yeah I know, gross) with 0% ill effects. If not for this method, Aquagardening would be less fun. As you can take a giant piece of LR, and attach as many different colours (zoo frags 5-10 polyps) as you can with Superglue gel, sit back, and enjoy watching them all grow into each other then spread randomly to the rest of the tank. On xenia, beware lest they should crash on you!

reefmad

darker area of tank for the shrooms so that they stretch out for the light then after that have a current slow on them and where it lays touching other rocks in days it will stick and spread and move up the rock it touches. this works for me and no cutting requried..