Getting zoas to adjust to my lights

greenreefer

I've been in between tanks for a while, but a couple of weeks ago my new tank finished cycling and I've got my frags back in. I'm using a 48 inch nova extreme 8 bulb t5 fixture. The fixture is only about 1.5 inches above the surface of the water, shallow canopy. The tank is very bright, except for 24 inches at the other end without a light. Even on the sand the zoas won't open all of the way with all 8 bulbs on. I've been trying a light cycle where I have a 30 minute period where all 8 bulbs are on, but even after a couple of weeks they all close up tight when all are on. They open when only 4 are on. I've got several SPS frags that really like the light when all on. ANy suggestions on how to get the zoas to acclimate to the bright light? Previously all of these zoas were high up under 2 150w MH fixtures with reeflux 12k bulbs. I just figured they would get use to this and that I could gradually increase the overlapping time each week, but I can't get them use to the initial 30 minute overlap.

greenreefer

I haven't tried so I'm not sure if it will run like this, but I suppose I could try running 4 bulbs and then gradully adding bulbs, so instead of most of the day with 4 bulbs and 30 minutes with 8 I could do all day with 5 then in a couple weeks go to 6. I'm not at home at the moment, will it work if I remove some of the bulbs?

J

just me

Could you try putting several layer of the material used in window screens on top of your tank? Run your regular lighting schedule and remove one layer of screening every week. That should give your zoas a gentle acclimation to your new lighting.

greenreefer

I've read that in several places, but how do you get the screen material inside the canopy and keep it from sagging into the water?

J

just me

What about cutting the screen larger than the tank and tacking it inside of the canopy. That would keep it taut and out of sight.