Ghost Feeding, PH and more

ZombieHarambe

Hi guys, I had a 55 gallon Saltwater tank years ago and started her back up about 5 weeks ago. I have no living creatures minus the bacteria that came with the live sand and what Ive added. I have been ghost feeding the tank my old tropical fish flakes about once a week. Is that a good amount?Test show low PH 7.8. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Is it OK just to add the buffer?
Ammonia is low, low Nitrites but about 10 -20ppm Nitrates. The test doesn't really tell me how much they should be just low as possible is this because my tank is ready for creatures?This is my 1st forum question of all time so be gentle. Lol

iidylii

So your tank will first produce ammonia...after maybe 10-14 days nitrites will start to rise...after about 20 + days your nitrates will start to rise...at this point your ammonia and trites should be zero...when your ammonia and trites are 0 and your trates start to rise it is safe to add creatures

I hope you don’t mind but I’m gonna add another question of my own pertaining tosomewhat the same thing...

forbis or Jay...I know I already talked to you a little bit J...anyways I cured my live rock in a serperate tank for like 6 weeks changing the water a couple times...during those times I of course saw spikes in ammonia...anyways after 6 weeks I filled my 90 gallon up with freshnew saltwater and out my live rock in and then added live sand...anyways I saw a very small amount of ammoniathe first day just to the alert levelon the seachem badge .05 ppm ammonia...ok so here I am 15 days later and the ammonia is still at .05 and I am getting absolutely 0 reading for nitrites? I am ghost feeding the tank maybe a quarter cube a day...with this small amount of ammonia will nature eventually take its course or should I bump up to a half or whole cube a day to produce more ammonia in hopes to see nitrites quicker or does that have absolutely nothing to do with it? I just do t wanna really over feed because I don’t wanna already start behind the 8 ball with over feeding and algae growth...hope all of this isn’t confusing and sorry for using your post to ask a question but it’s sort of related so...thanks everyone

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
The nitrates aren't terrible. As long as your ammonia went up and came down, followed by the same with nitrites, I'd say you're pretty dang close. If you can take a water sample to an lfs just for a double check, and it checks out. You should be ready to start stocking. Go slowly, you want time for bacteria to increase evenly with the new bioload.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Have some water mixed and ready for a 10-20% water change if things start to get wonky. I'd go ahead and add a couple tablespoons of buffer and get the ph to 8 before you get any livestock. You don't want to be swinging chemistry with fish unless you have to.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
So your tank will first produce ammonia...after maybe 10-14 days nitrites will start to rise...after about 20 + days your nitrates will start to rise...at this point your ammonia and trites should be zero...when your ammonia and trites are 0 and your trates start to rise it is safe to add creatures

I hope you don’t mind but I’m gonna add another question of my own pertaining tosomewhat the same thing...

forbis or Jay...I know I already talked to you a little bit J...anyways I cured my live rock in a serperate tank for like 6 weeks changing the water a couple times...during those times I of course saw spikes in ammonia...anyways after 6 weeks I filled my 90 gallon up with freshnew saltwater and out my live rock in and then added live sand...anyways I saw a very small amount of ammoniathe first day just to the alert levelon the seachem badge .05 ppm ammonia...ok so here I am 15 days later and the ammonia is still at .05 and I am getting absolutely 0 reading for nitrites? I am ghost feeding the tank maybe a quarter cube a day...with this small amount of ammonia will nature eventually take its course or should I bump up to a half or whole cube a day to produce more ammonia in hopes to see nitrites quicker or does that have absolutely nothing to do with it? I just do t wanna really over feed because I don’t wanna already start behind the 8 ball with over feeding and algae growth...hope all of this isn’t confusing and sorry for using your post to ask a question but it’s sort of related so...thanks everyone
What ammonia test kit are you using?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
I would recomend getting a decent test kit or taking a sample to a lfs you trust. Doesn't hurt to have a better idea of where your ammonia is really at.