Giving Up Before Getting Started - So Confused

john-nyc

I've been reading on here for a about a week now lots of post and I'm getting more confused as I read. I wanted to setup a 75 gallon tank but so confused on what type of filter to purchase, then pumps, skimmer, lighting etc..
I wanted to setup a FOWLR but I'm reading and talking myself out of it. I don't want to DIY but not sure what company to go with for the under stand wet/dry etc.
HELP
Money is that not that much of an issue that's why I don't want to DIY. I'm not rich or anything but have a good steady job and would spend some $$ to do it right.

kanicky

Nooo, don't give up. Just ask a LOT of questions. I knew next to nothing two weeks ago, but know I'm starting to talk the "saltwater jargon" and actually understand it. It takes more than a week of reading message boards to get the hang of this hobby.
I know it's really confusing because everyone seems to have a different opinion and a different way of doing things. What what one person deems right, another person deems wrong. My suggestion is this: Find one person that really seems to know their stuff and that has a tank similar to what you would like yours to be. Ask them if they wouldn't mind "mentoring" you.
Oh, and invest in "The Bible of Saltwater Aquarist" and buy The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Dr. Robert M. Fenner . It will be one of the best investments you could make, and will be a big help in years to come.
Don't give up!! :happyfish
Best of luck to you!

azfishgal

I understand you being overwhelmed. I'D be concerned if you were not. Great book mentioned above and you can also get "The New Marine Aquarium" but rely on the CMA for the fish info. I've been researching my saltwater tank for over over three months now and I'm just now getting my tank together (see my diary on the picture forum). I also become very confused but soon things will start to click and make sense. I know it doesn't seem like that now, but it will. Take your time and have fun. The best advice I can give, DON'T RUSH!
Oh, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!! :cheer:

bill109

yeah i know EXACTLY how you feel i was reading/posting on this site for about 2-3 weeks and wow i ha dno clue and was loosing faith in the sw hobby
to this day i am successful. well sorta.. havent atempted a full reef yet but startted with a 12 then went to 29 then went to a 90 in UNDEr a year so start big. even though im thinking of setting up my 12 gal with 130 watt pc if i find room :thinking:
you will NOT regret the decision with going with it as long as your willing to spend a little momney to get it going you will be ok
-bill109

al mc

John...I do not think there is anyone here that felt confident in a short period of time with SW fish. Keep reading, keep asking questions. If you have not done so you may want to look in the archives for a post that
asks.."What do you know now that you wish you had known when you started?"....
IMHO....Best to #1 Be patient (takes awhile to get an established tank
going)
#2 Get the best skimmer you can afford.
#3 Never be afraid to ask questions
#4 Enjoy (Warning..once you start it is addictive!)

1journeyman

Cannot recommend "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner enough. Book does a great job of walking you through the basics. You can order it here

rabid frog

I agree with above posters. Dont get over whelmed and dont give up. I think you will find this to be something you will come to love.
As far as your wet/dry or Refuge. Just find one that is made for your tank size and fits your budget. There really is not a best wet/dry sump out there imo. They are all acrylic and come with bio balls. Just find one you like and go with it.
Some of your other equipment you may want to research a bit more, ie Protein skimmer, Power Heads and your return pump. Your doing FOWLR so lights are not a real big deal.
I have a 75 reef but I can help you out with your FOWLR if you need it.
jmlees@sandia.gov

monalisa

Originally Posted by John-NYC
I've been reading on here for a about a week now lots of post and I'm getting more confused as I read. I wanted to setup a 75 gallon tank but so confused on what type of filter to purchase, then pumps, skimmer, lighting etc..
I wanted to setup a FOWLR but I'm reading and talking myself out of it. I don't want to DIY but not sure what company to go with for the under stand wet/dry etc.
HELP
Money is that not that much of an issue that's why I don't want to DIY. I'm not rich or anything but have a good steady job and would spend some $$ to do it right.
First of all, welcome, welcome, welcome. To be honest...if you weren't feeling overwhelmed with all the information, it would be a worry.
Hahaha...oh to go back!! When I first posted on this site, my very first thread was "Brand spankin' new"...I knew ABSOLUTELY nothing, nada, zilch, zero. BUT, I knew that I was interested in the hobby and I knew that, given time, I could learn it and do it. I'm now in the process of planning and setting up a seahorse tank...
There are SO many members here that know how to answer questions, solve problems, and walk you through many, many situations.
Give yourself a break, and most of all, if you're really interested, give yourself time...as has been said before...patience, a key ingredient in this hobby...
Lisa :happyfish

andy51632

Okay no DIY. You need to go back to the main page that shows all the forumns. Scroll down to the very bottom forumn call archive and FAQ. Go into that forumn scroll down until you find Beginners Equiptment. That should help.
There are a ton of different makers of sumps/wet-dry filters. You just need to make sure you get help from whoever you buy it from. They should be able to tell you all that you will need to get your sump/wet-dry filter going. If they don't respond back then find somebody else to purchase from that will help you.
If u are just going w/ a FOWLR set up you will be fine w/ a sump w/ awet-dry filter and a protein skimmer for your filtration. I would recommend you buy at least 75lb of live rock. You can get it alot cheaper from this site than from the LFS. It will have to be recured which also cycle your tank which is good.

john-nyc

I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone for the moral boost. I just ordered The Conscientious Marine Aquarist and I will take it from there

jeeperrs

One post mentioned to get the best skimmer you can afford. I have talked to several people in the Oklahoma area and have heard nothing but good things about the turboflotor multi. It is a skimmer that is very good and can be placed in a sump or hang on the side of the aquarium. One lady I have talked to ran her 215 gallon tank for six months on the turboflotor and had no problems, but she later went to a bigger skimmer as she increased her bioload. I say all this because the turboflotor multi is only 250 which isn't that bad if it keeps the money spent in rocks, fish, and corals alive considering the poor quality skimmers run 100 bucks. It is also one that will go with you if you upgrade to a 120 gallon or something bigger later. Just thought I would pass that along because I read on skimmers for a month before I bought the one I am going to use :)

azfishgal

Originally Posted by John-NYC
I would like to say THANK YOU to everyone for the moral boost. I just ordered The Conscientious Marine Aquarist and I will take it from there

:cheer: Good Move! Don't be scared when it comes, it's BIG. But that's a good thing, because it goes over so much. If you are like me you will need to read it from cover to cover, then as you start to understand (because some of it will go right over your head) go back and re-read those sections that didn't make sense. It will come more clear to you and you will start to "get it." Have fun and I can't wait to see what type of tank you get. I'm just now starting up my 125 gallon and I can't hardly stand it!

nailer

In addition to what has been said.
I would also suggest you find a trustworthy saltwater only fish store and befriend the owner/workers. Be sure to look at their setups (they will usually have one Display Tank for show) and pick their brain and ask a lot of questions. Also make sure you buy products from them, even though you know you could have paid less for it on the net its important not to take advantage of the knowledge they are giving you. In other words, paying more now could possibly be cheaper in the long run.
Much of learning this hobby is physically seeing setups in action.

murph

First off I commend you for putting the amount of thought and research into the hobby that you have before jumping in.
Keep in mind that this is a hobby and not the keeping of a pet in the traditional sense. If you have no interest in, or feel you are not handy enough to deal with plumbing, lighting, maintenance issues etc. this may not be the hobby for you. For most people these issues are part of the "fun" of having the tank, hence the often used word "hobby" where I am concerned.
On the other hand since money is not that much of an issue for you you could consider having the tank set up by a professional and simply observe what goes on during setup and maintenance visits to better gauge if you want to deal with these issues yourself which would be a far more rewarding endeavor. Also keep in mind that SW aquariums are not going to be something that "just works". Even if you have your tank setup and maintained professionally it will still take daily attention on your behalf to make sure things are working properlly.
Since you are taking the time to research and ask questions on forums like this I suspect your level of interest is more than sufficient (most people don't come anywhere near doing this before jumping in) You may find after observing how the tank is setup and maintained by a professional that your are more than capable of dealing with these things yourself and are far more likely to settle into a equipment and maintenance routine that is right for your system due to the fact that you are seeing what goes on with the system on a daily basis. If you decide this hobby is not for you; no harm no foul. At least you went about it in a common sense manner and made a honest effort.
Good luck with your potential new hobby.

promisetbg

Wow, a pat on the back to our members..great posts everyone! I guess I will just say WELCOME..and don't be afraid to ask any questions. Be patient, research first. We are here for you, and have been where you are. Good Luck!

ecooper

Welcome,
You're going to get a lot of advice. I'm relatively new to saltwater. My tank has been up for about 6 months now. I'm happy with it, so I figured I would just offer the specifics for you to look at. I have the wet/dry for the main filter, another small hang-on for carbon and water movement, and of course, a skimmer.
My Tank:
75 gallon (standard)
Wet/dry trickle filter for a 75
Skilter 250 (I don't use the skimmer part of it, just the carbon)
Skimmer in the sump
Two powerheads (one for wet/dry filter and one for water circulation).
My Lights:
I have the CoraLife Lunar Aquatics light system for a 75 gallon: 2 - 65 watt day and 2 - 65 watt blue and the moon lights. And, I have another 56w Coralife T-5 light. Total: 316watts. No glass tops used.
Tank Stocked With:
3 green chromis (small)
1 maroon clown (2 inches)
1 coral beauty (2 inches)
1 mandarin (also about 2 inches)
about 10 snails of different types
about 7 small to tiny hermit crabs (blue and red)
approx. 60 lbs of live rock
green zoos, purple mushrooms, and green polyps
2 cleaner shrimp
Good luck!
Eric

f14peter

Echo the others, don't give up.
Actually, I don't think what you're experiencing is unusual at all, especially after only a few weeks research . . . indeed it can appear daunting and overwhelming. The Mrs and I conducted research for around two-three months before we even got our first piece of gear.
What happens is that you slowly start to make sense of all the information, filter out what you determine isn't appropriate for your situation, and begin winnowing down your options. Often, there is no single right answer, so you can't get too hung up on worrying about making the wrong choice.
Even then, you're going to change your mind several times . . . it's just natural and I suspect the vast majority of the members of this board went through it as they were starting out.