Giving Up - Its not all it's cracked up to be

shawnhardy

I would recommend moving the canister over to your freshwater tank. I would get another 40 - 80 pounds of live rock. If you don't want to spend that much, refer to one of my earlier posts about letting live rock turn base rock into live. This takes time though. This might run you anywhere from $100 - $300. It is cheaper if you cure it yourself.
My skimmer recommendation is the AquaC Remora Pro with Mag-3 pump and surface skimmer. I would say the price of this is around $230 new. It is a hang on skimmer. If you want one that is in the cabinet, you will have to buy an overflow and a sump and a return pump. Based on your previous comments about money, I would say that is not what you want to do.
Then you will need someway to get the nitrate you have in your water lower. You can do this by water changes or you can use a product like AZ-NO3. It is an additive that I hear works well but some people prefer to just do it through water changes.
For saltwater tanks, you do not need to have a traditional "filter" like most people think of when they think of freshwater tanks. As I said, you can have a great system with only live rock and a good skimmer. I personally have a wet dry filter that I wish I had used the money to buy live rock.
Run your system until your ammonia stays at 0 for at least a week. Hope this helps.

pinktail

We have our SWFO tank since 1999, and changed to a 150 from 125 in 2003. Trust me, in order to have a nice aquarium, not only do you need a lot of patience, you also need to accept the fact that you are going to spend a lot of $. If I count the price we have paid on lost fish, it will add up to close to $1000. And equipments definitely will run high in cost. We have a Protein skimmer, a UV, and 2 filters--a sump pump and a eheim filter. My hubby also add water flow in the fish tank by adding another pump in the tank.
Yes, everyone has things that work for them. Please don't give up too soon. One year is actually a very short time for SW starters. 6 years later, we are finally enjoying a nice fish tank, with 5 beautiful fish. We don't put too many fish in it, so the fish can have tons of room to swim and hide. Be patients!

djballistc

Shawnhardy...thanks for the info. As for the protein skimmer that goes under the cabinet...I know you said they will run me much more and require more pumps, etc. For the $230 is that just for the protein skimmer itself or is that with any pumps? Also is this kind better than the off the back of the tank kind? As I said i know it is more money but is that the better way to do it. If it doesn't matter that's ok but if it does then I'll find a way to get the more expensive protein skimmer.

djballistc

Also I have found some good prices on the Prizm Pro Deluxe skimmers that are also hang on tank ones...are they good?

marineman

i have 2 of those skimmers and they work great for me! easy to maintain and clean as well. I would bet the large deluxe models are by far better than the same brands smaller version. i only have the larger model, though, so i cannot say for sure.

djballistc

Why do you have 2 of them? Is your tank that large? I mean I could probably get away with one of the Pro models for my tank. Also I found a LFS in my area I have never dealt with before that specializes in saltwater fish ONLY. He says my Eheim Pro II canister filter is fine, he says it's a good filter for saltwater but he recommended a hang-on tank filter to use ALSO. Does this sound like he is correct? And if so which filter should I get for that purpose. I asked him about wet/dry filters and he said nah just a decent one with a bio-sponge on it or something. Then he said in my canister filter I could keep the carbon and the phozphate removing agents in there. What do you all make of this?

lionkiller

You could do it the way he says.....I have two emporeror bio-wheel filters hanging on the sides of my tank as well as an Undergravel filter (old school but looking to switch that out some time this year). I went a longtime withou ever doing water changes ( I wouldn't advise this though) But since I have increased the number of fish in my tank I have had to monitor my levels closer and perform water changes. At one point I had my nitrates shoot up to over 100. I have some live rock but not enough for my tank so water changes are my only option. You can go with what he says but regular water changes once a month at least are still going to need to be performed.
My set up isn't ideal and I would never recommend it to anyone. But I also understand the monster that it is so that helps a lot. If you don't understand or are unsure if what the LFS guy is saying, read up on the product itself.
I still believe your equipment would get you by, It will just take a lot of physical work on your part.

mombostic

Just be ready for everyone to say it sucks, but I have a Seaclone skimmer that cost $74.99. If you want to e-mail me or something I can tell you where it came from. It's rated up to 100 gallons. It takes load of gunk out of the tank, IMO. It's economical compared to some that are over $200. At the very least, you could get it started then in a few months get a "better" one. I also have crushed coral and an UGF, so that's why I do weekly water changes. If you have sand, it's very possible you could do the one month thing, just as long as you clean your canister filter regularly.
I think a lot of people use canister filters. If you can clean things up and get it going, why not keep it? If you can get the skimmer, just use it for carbon, nitrate remover, phosphate absorbing stuff, or whatever. You don't have to have just exactly what someone else has.
P.S. When I added my fish, three went in together at the same time, but there wasn't 100.00 required because I didn't order from SWF.
Don't flame me, please. :D

shawnhardy

My skimmer quote does include a pump.
I have read several accounts of people claiming that AquaC's are some of the best skimmers. Not so much on the prizm skimmers.
To answer your question about getting an overflow...my tank is pre-drilled. Meaning it has an overflow built into it that drains down to my wet/dry filter. I have never had to mess with a manual overflow that hangs on the back of the tank. I have heard some bad stories about these but many people use them. I personally will only ever have pre-drilled tanks. The advantage of having any overflow at all is to increase the volume of water in your system. You can also have thing in your sump like heaters, protein skimmers, UV sterilizers and other components you don't necessarily want everyone to see. You can add extra live rock and live sand. You can also plumb in a refugium which can be used to grow macro algae that will consume phosphate and nitrate as it grows. This is what I am working on right now.
A filter that has a bio-wheel is just a type of wet/dry filter. Expect all of the advantages / disadvantages to be the same.

djballistc

The reason I am asking what I should buy is because I simply do not know. I have been misinformed so all I can do at this point is to trust you all and to guide me in the right direction. All my LFS carries for skimmers are the SeaClone ones and the Prizm Pro Deluxe. But you guys said they aren't that great so I want to spend more if I have to and do it right. In reading up on skimmers there seems to be a lot of options or types. The sump kind and the off the back of the tank kind. I want one that is going to be the easiest to maintain and clean because I don't like having to do anything on a weekly basis if I can help it...monthly is fine for me. I am a busy guy :) and don't have a lot of time. If the Aqua C is what I should get then that is what I will try to save up for but I cannot do anything right now so all I can do is hold out and hope he remaining fish live and not to mention to eyesore of an algae bloom I got going on. I just have to get one more powerhead 30 that pumps 175 GPH and then I will be over my 750 GPH requirement for water flow. But I was wondering...doesn't the skimmer I would get have an output rating so maybe it could take up the rest and me not have to get a third powerhead. One guy or girl posted here that the Aqua C Remora Pro is it with a Mag-3 Pump. If I get that is that all I will need to get with it...is there any optional overflow or cleaning container I should or need to get? I want to be done with this headache...well at least I want to be done with the stress so I can start working on getting my aquarium good again.

djballistc

Also with the filter...in keeping my canister filter what extra filter should I get that would do the job for my setup? And with the of the back of the tank skimmers that Remora Pro looks huge. The other problem is cleanliness of placement of the equipment. See....my aquarium can be seen from both sides...it isn't up against a wall or anything...that is why I went with the canister filter because you don't see it. The powerheads don't hang down that far so that isn't really an issue either....but that skimmer looks huge to hang off the back...it will be in full view and an added eyesore. I suppose I can live with that though considering the alternatives.

djballistc

Well I have had that second powerhead in there for 2 days now. I haven't gotten the chance to get the third on bought yet. But I just woke up this morning and my Domino Damsel is dead now. Who knows why? Least of all me.

marineman

i have 2 p. skimmers because i have 2 saltwater tanks. look everyone has different skimmers they like the best and thats great, but my experience with the prism pro deluxe skimmers= easy to setup, maintain, clean, reasonable price, makes alot of foamy scum w/o constantly tweeking the air/water inflow knobs and comes with its own powerful pump. ask other owners there experiences with the deluxe pro model for tanks upto 300 gallons. I like mine.

marineman

put a black or blue background on the back glass of your tank and that will hide the lower half of the skimmer and all of the cord.:happy:

loopy

Read up on water changes, there is a thread going right now. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you are not the only person here with a busy life, and all you do is complain about having no money, so, short and sweet, this is probably not the hobby for you...it takes time and money, lots and lots of money. As for water changes being 'ridiculous', well, maybe that's why you have problems. I am getting the impression you are waiting for people to start offering you stuff for free here.
JMO, flame me if you want, and I'm sure you will. Don't ask for opinions and then call people ridiculous, won't get you very far.

djballistc

Loopy dude....back off.... I am not looking for a hand-out and certainly nothing for free. I am under the impressing you think i don't have any common sense. I realize that this hobby takes money to do it successfully. That is why I am asking on this forum of KNOWLEDGABLE people. I have apparantly been misinformed in the past. I am simply asking people's opinions on what they use and what is good. Don't you think that is a good idea as I have gone wrong in the past? And as for water changes yes I am busy a lot of the time but I can and will make time to do water changes..I have heard tell of people performing water changes once a month and that suits me just fine if that can be done. Every week then probably your right this hobby isn't for me. But I am thinking with the right equipment I should be able to get a month out of it between water changes. In my opinion you were being quite rude in your reply to me because obviously you haven't read the entire thread here.

~sc~emt~

once a month is fine on water changes, I personally like using protein skimmers. I recomend Euro Reef skimmers, they are exceltent, also pro clear aquatics makes a decent skimmer. Euro Reef is gonna be double the price of the Pro Clear. As for you damsel those things have tendancy to die for no reason, all of them are that way none are excluded you can wake up one morning and they will have crashed, in thise hobby FISH WILL DIE, trust me I know I've lost expensive fish before. It happens. But honestly dont be hostile towards people on here we're all here to help and not here to put you down, we are just telling you personal experience.

djballistc

Thanks SC EMT...... I think I am going to go with the Aqua C Remora Pro for a skimmer..I think..although I will check out the 2 you recommended as well. And as for being hostile on here towards people I am not and have not. IF you read my earlier postings I am only being reserved because I have been "burned" before...I came here looking for help in the first place so I wouldn't be dumb enough to be hostile to the people I am trying to get help from. I was only a little nasty as a reply to one of the previous posts for drilling me and making false accusations.

~sc~emt~

gotcha, yeah just watch out some lfs out there will tell you stuff and they arent correct. Find you a lfs that have regular people you know and see everytime you're in there and get to know them and it helps alot.