Glass cleaner?

chrisnif

Okay, so like everyone I spill tons of water and get salt spots on the glass etc. I also have a mirror that is behind my tank on the water (well its above the tank) anyway it gets spots here and there from rock rearranging etc.
I know I shouldnt use windex probably even in the same room as the tank so what can I use, is there a "reef safe" glass cleaner?
Lately I've been using the stuff that comes in the spray can that's alcohol based, spraying it on a rag in the next room, then using that rag, but its kinda a PITA so if there's something safe/better please tell me...
Oh and I tried RO water it just smears water spots when it dries :(

J

jstdv8

i got some API towlettes from the LFS, they also had a spray also made by API bot said they were safe for in or out of the tank

flower

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/3205328
just spay the Windex on the towel then use it
+1 with those towelets you are doing the exact same thing, and expensive because it is made for fish tanks.
The is no difference from tearing open a towlet and putting cleaner on a paper towel away from the tank...it need not be in another room, just across the same room is fine. In fact turn your back to the tank and spray into the paper towel and your good to go. Windex comes in pop up containers too.

manycolors

The windex on a towel or rag does work, But I have found a way that works without any glass cleaner. Take a damp towel or rag (100% cotton) I say this because my tank is acrylic, and wash off all the salt spots and whatever else might be on the outside of the tank. Now you will be left with a light film. Take another dry rag, I use a sock, and dry wipe the whole thing. I find that this way works better than windex, because with my experience windex leaves slight streaks.

J

jstdv8

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3205331
+1 with those towelets you are doing the exact same thing, and expensive because it is made for fish tanks.
The is no difference from tearing open a towlet and putting cleaner on a paper towel away from the tank...it need not be in another room, just across the same room is fine. In fact turn your back to the tank and spray into the paper towel and your good to go. Windex comes in pop up containers too.
Just that windex has ammonia in it and the other towels that im talking about are fish safe.
Obviously if you go the windex way just make sure that none gets near the inside. Like if you are cleaning the plastic edging or whatever.
I agree its more expensive, but ive had my tank for 4 months, am only about 1/2 way through the container and I think it was about 5 bucks, so in comparison to most everything else in this hobby, thats a drop in the bucket :)
Lots of people use the windex methods described above with good luck though.

t316

Newspaper....ball up a piece about the size of a grapefruit and just start wiping. Sounds crazy, but try it and you will see

solly

Microfiber towels..you can get a pack of several of them in the auto dept at Walmart for $5. These things are awesome for getting those last streaks and lint off your tank, mirrors, smooth cooktops, stainless appliances, TV and computer screens. Once I started using them around the house, I just kept finding more uses. Don't use any cleaner at all and don't wash them with your other laundry, just rinse out and hang up to dry and use again.

small triggers

the Spray WAY glass cleaner has no ammonia, its what i have always used (hate windexs streakyness) and it uses much less....i go through a can about once a year (yes i clean all my windows and mirors with it about 1x a month)

katsafados

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/3205328
just spay the Windex on the towel the use it
+ 100000
I dont know why you'd have to leave the room lol. Ive been spraying windex right on my glass (open top tank) and havent seen any bad effects of it yet. I'm sure some gets in the tank all the time and nothing has died yet, nor are my water parameters out of whack.
Think logically.. you really think a "mist" (after hitting the glass or i nthe air) of windex getting in your tank will do something? When the 1mm(not even) of windex goes into your tank, you dont think the large volume of water will dilute it?!?!?! IMO as long as you dont pour a crap load into your tank perposly nothing will happen.
My tanks been running for 9 months now and I've been using windex carelessly on the tank and nothing has happend, my corals are growing like weeds, and I havent had a fish loss due to unexplained causes (only jumping)! Also its only a 10g so means theres less volume of water to dilute.

luv4jjt

I do the same as manycolors and it works great. Wet washcloth then dry. Works better then the windex. And a lot cheaper then pre made cloths.

I keep room temp water in a spray bottle, I mist the glass and wipe it off with paper towels, it works great for me. I was always nervous using anything else.

stevedave08

Originally Posted by ManyColors
http:///forum/post/3205346
The windex on a towel or rag does work, But I have found a way that works without any glass cleaner. Take a damp towel or rag (100% cotton) I say this because my tank is acrylic, and wash off all the salt spots and whatever else might be on the outside of the tank. Now you will be left with a light film. Take another dry rag, I use a sock, and dry wipe the whole thing. I find that this way works better than windex, because with my experience windex leaves slight streaks.
That's what I do. Windex always left streaks. I would just wet a towel and wipe off the glass then come back with a dry one and "buff" it.

gill again68

Dry paper towels for most of my cleaning but I do wet some towels and then buff with dry. Of course this is glass and not acrylic.