Glass Cover w/ MH

wolffam

Is the glass cover going to hurt the light from my MH? Will the heat cause the glass to crack? What is the minimun recommended clearance for MH above the glass cover to prevent this?

flydan

Hey, I'm not an expert with MH lights but I stayed away from them just because of the heat. If your glass is getting that hot that you're afraid they're going to crack I'd guess that they are set up too close. I do bi-weekly water changes and clean my glass top at the same time just to keep it nice and clear. Hope that helps you a little bit!
Dan'l

getinjr

i've always wondered the same, My halides are 5 in. off the water line. But still wonder if the glass takes away some of the affect,no problems yet!

parker1306

GET THE GLASS UP OFF THE TOP OF YOUR TANK!!!!THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING METAL HALIDES IS THAT THEY OFFER A HIGHER SPECTRUM OF LIGHT. THE GLASS IN THE WAY ACTUALLY ACTS AS A FILTER FOR MUCH OF THE WAVELENGTH. I CAN TELL YOU FROM EXPERIENCE THAT YOUR TANK CONDITIONS WILL ONLY IMPROVE BY TAKING THE GLASS OFF THE TOP AS YOU'LL HAVE A GREATER AMOUNT OF EVAPORATION AND THE HEAT WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO DISIPATE. 5-9 INCHES SHOULD BE A GOOD HEIGHT ABOVE THE WATER TO POSITION YOUR LIGHTS, JUST WATCH THE CORALS THOUGH, THEY'LL BE YOUR BEST GAUGE. IF WATER TEMPERATURE BECOMES A PROBLEM, JUST POSTION ANY HOUSEHOLD FAN TO CIRCULATE AIR ACROSS THE WATER SURFACE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, I'D BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO HELP
PARKER1306@AOL.COM