glass or acrylic

garinger

i have a 60 gallon reef tank ready to up grade to 180 glass or acrylic ? can get a glass tank 175 bow front with stand and canopy , and sump for $1,500 is this a good deal should i go acrylic ? looking for imput and why thanks

gregzbobo

glass is cheaper and very scratch resistant, acrylic is optically clear and much lighter, but costs more and scratches easily. So it really depends on your wallet and if you can keep from scratching the walls when you clean whether you get the acrylic or not.

H

havunen191

I was going to go with the 175 bow tank as well. After talking to some people I know and the local LFS'S They are having some trouble with the large bow tanks blowing out the glass. I would also suggest that to find one set up and running so you can see the effect it gives. When looking at it strait on from a distance it looks cool but when closer it really does mess with your eyes and turn your stomach, by giving a magnifying effect. I don't know about you but we like looking in the tank to see all the critters and and new little growths. The bow tank does make it hard to do this.So in turns I am going with the 180 glass tank. Just my two cents!

bchbum189

acrylic scratches very easly, but they are also removable. Once glass is scratched thats pretty much it from what ive heard. Acrylic is also ALOT more impact resitant, ie little kids with toys, dropping a 20lb piece of lr into the tank kind of stuff. Assuming you found 2 in the same price range, id go acrylic, but that probably wont be the case

milomlo

I personally like glass better. As far as the scratches go I have a used tank now and it has alot of scratches and they will never be removed as it is glass. BUT I personally have knocked over several rocks and things in my tank and if had been acrylic the scratches would have been bad. I have not scratched this tank

r22wink

I prefer acrylic. Lighter easier to work with. I bought a used 120 gallon, half cyclinder looks really neat. Not Ideal for reef thou. If you can get a nice used acrylic or even a new one at a good price I would go with that. Even if the used one has scratches they make acrylic scratch remover that works wonders.