Glass, plastic... safe

draconis321

So in my tank i have barely any sand bed but I want a plate coral so I had the idea of filling a container with sand and putting it in they rocks some where and covering the container with rocks so it look like the rock are holding in the sand I was wondering wether this idea was good or am i just crazy???

nordy

Sounds like it will work and should look OK if you arrange it well. Only suggestion-don't put a lot of sand in the container and put some holes in the bottom of it. At least you don't have to worry about a plate coral moving around the tank
Just curious-how come hardly any sand? Is it just rocks on the tank bottom?

draconis321

well you see there use to be a lot of sand but then my gramps got a sup polyop( it was his tank before he passed)but he new that they don't like too much light so he made a cave for it which took qiuet a bit of space and plus the little corner that had some plant has over grown so hecne the space problem.But I was wondering should I use a glass or plastic contaner

nordy

I don't have experience with doing what you are talking about, but It just sems to make sense to me to be able allow some circulation of water so bad stuff doesn't build up in the container. Doesn't have to be a bunch of large holes, but some ones.
Definately recommend plastic-no risk of broken glass, cheap and easy to cut to the exact size you want.
What type of plant are you talking about? is it a macroalgae? You might want to clean that up before adding the coral.