Glass tank bowing????????

squidbait

I just filled a 90 G. glass tank and it apears that the front and back are bowing out slightly. Is this normal? It is my first tank , so I am a bit nervous about it.
Please put my mind to ease!!!

blueberryboomer

WOW! I have never heard of such a thing happening! Didn't know they could do that, could it be a angle your looking at it that makes it appear to be bowing.? I hope soo..Lisa

jimi

Yes, they can bow slightly. Does your tank have a center brace? What kind of tank is it?

squidbait

I don't know what kind of tank it is but it does have a center brace. The brace does not add any structural integrity to the tank though and it has pulled out of one end because of the bowing. The LFS has a 90 G for $164 from California Aquariums ( I think thats the brand ) and I am thinking about getting it just for piece of mind. What do you think jimi?

did you just buy this tank? if so return it and make them give you another,you should find out about the tank, they do come with warranties

twoods71

The center brace is there for a reason. To keep the tank from bowing.
If you have the means to purchase another tank I would do it.

Sounds like its a cheaper acrylic tank to me. Even though acrylic is sturdier than glass it is made to bow under pressure, and still give off the glass appearance. Personally if it were me, I'd buy the other tank and put any future worries to rest now.
Dan

D

diatom

If you don't have the means to buy a new tank you should defintially fix the center brace on the one you have.
Drain down your tank till it stops bowing and use an epoxy to reattach your center brace.
Bowing is not a good thing!!

beecher

WOW.....90 gal glass bowing out?!........I'd empty that sucker out ASAP or go purchase the biggest wet vac I could find!