Glass tank size

ncabw

I'm looking at building a tank 74" x 30" x 30"
was wondering if 1/2" glass would be thick enough? i have found different web sites saying 1/2" is good then i read 3/4" is what i need.

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by ncabw
http:///forum/post/3006922
I'm looking at building a tank 74" x 30" x 30"
was wondering if 1/2" glass would be thick enough? i have found different web sites saying 1/2" is good then i read 3/4" is what i need.
Well it depends on the stregth of the glass you are going to use (for example if you use a really strong glass than you could possibly do 1/4"). At a minimum I would not go thinner than 5/8", but 3/4" would be what I would use or recomend. It has more of a safety factor than the 1/2" thick glass. Also being that is a weaker glass the odds of it being tempered are close to zero. This will allow you to drill it just in case you need to. Also for the bottom piece I would go tempered with a thickness of 1/2" or you could be looking at 1" if not tempered. Let me know if you have any further questions.

acrylic51

I'd go 3/4" thick.....it's not necessarily the length you worry about it's the height of the panel....and with it being 30" i'd opt up on thickness.....

sbaumann14

my allglass 180 tall (60x30Hx24W) came with 3/4in.... thats gonna be a HELL of a lotta pressure to have on 1/2in. botttom glass should be 3/4 at least in case you have a rock moved by a snail and it goes tumbling down

acrylic51

Again it's not necessarily the length that factors the material thickness, but the height of the panel....I'm pretty sure if you looked around at tanks built that height, you wouldn't see many with 1/2" glass....Check with some reputable "glass" tank builders and see what they'd build the tank with.