Glass Tank vs. Acrylic Tank

aquarook

Is one better than the other is is this just user preferance?
Note: I'm targetting a 75 or 90 gallon tank so if size makes a difference in my choice let me know.

computrgk

well for reef setup acrylic is nice cause it can be predrilled for the overflow box but other than that i couldn't tell you i've been told acrylic is better due to cracks and such i would also thing maybe less algae on acrylic but that would just be a complete guess don't know why i think that
wish i had gone with acrylic it's alot lighter

robchuck

Having owned both acrylic and glass tanks over the years (my current tank is acrylic), I will say that they both have their advantages. But if you're looking at a tank in the 75-90 gallon range, I would recommend going with glass.
Glass tanks are quite a bit cheaper than acrylic until you get up into the 250-300 gallon range. Plus, glass can be drilled (though tempered glass absolutely cannot be drilled; the bottom pane on most mass-built tanks are usually tempered).
Acrylic is much more durable than glass, and the joints in acrylic tanks are fused, rather than glued together like in glass tanks, so there is less chance of a leak occuring. But glass tanks under 200 gallons don't have all that much water pressure pushing against the glass, so the chances of a leak occuring that way are slim.
Acrylic also scratches VERY EASILY. I've put more scratches in my current tank than all of my collective tanks in the past, and I would consider myself a careful person. Fortunately, scratches in acrylic can be repaired easily, while scratches in glass are virtually unrepairable.
Acrylic tanks are also much lighter than glass tanks (I was able to lift my 300g on its stand by myself using only sawhorses), but under 100g, that's a mute point, as glass tanks can be moved just as easily.
My opinion is the choice really boils down to what will be kept in the tank. And my advice here would be the opposite of ComputrGk's. Acrylic is fantasic in most respects, but makes maintenance much more difficult in a reef setting. Coralline algae seems to grow about 100x's easier on acrylic surfaces than glass. For instance, I slacked in my maintenance routine for about 3 weeks recently, and every pane of acrylic was 85-90% COVERED in coralline algae. It took almost 6 hours to scrub it all, plus I had to use repair kits to fix all the scratches I made. This never would have happened on a glass tank (well, it would have, but I would have had to slacked for a few more months).

bill f

That size tank I would say glass. I have a 90 now glass but I have a 180 acryllic thats been sitting for 6 months waiting to get set up. Pros/Cons are acryllic scratches easily but weighs significantly less, can be easily drilled and is stronger. Glass is much heavier and can break. The issue for me was weight. Anything over 150 gallons I would say go acryllic.

computrgk

like i said on the algae it was just a guess i wasn't sure as to which would accumulate more algae than the other i'm glad to know that now

sleasia

I have had both acrylic and glass tanks. I now have a 200 gal acrylic. I agree with all that has been said, however, one more point to consider. My tank is near/under skylights as well as a large double pane sliding glass door. When I had glass, running a fan on the tank was enough to keep the temperature from creeping up above 80 in the summer months. With my new acrylic tank, I was foced to buy a chiller, because the acrylic is much more insulated than the glass apparently. This probably is not a problem if you listen to what everyone says about setting up your tank and thoughtfully locate it away from windows. I wanted my tank, where I wanted my tank, and had to fork out $500 for a chiller to be able to keep it there. Though this insulation point proves helpful in the winter months, heating the tank is alot easier and a lot less expensive than chilling a tank. I really don't think for clarity purposes, either glass of acrylic is superior. You will still need to clean the tank either way, and there are mag float magnet cleaners made for each one. I think it depends more on how custom do you want the tank. do you want an overflow? do you want to drill the tank?
:happyfish