Global Warming?

clown boy

Gotta love the last sentence.

Source: http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/g...mo_code=4582-1
Are the world's ice caps melting because of climate change, or are the reports just a lot of scare mongering by the advocates of the global warming theory?
Scare mongering appears to be the case, according to reports from the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) that reveal that almost all the allegedly “lost” ice has come back. A NOAA report shows that ice levels which had shrunk from 5 million square miles in January 2007 to just 1.5 million square miles in October, are almost back to their original levels.
Moreover, a Feb. 18 report in the London Daily Express showed that there is nearly a third more ice in Antarctica than usual, challenging the global warming crusaders and buttressing arguments of skeptics who deny that the world is undergoing global warming.
The Daily express recalls the photograph of polar bears clinging on to a melting iceberg which has been widely hailed as proof of the need to fight climate change and has been used by former Vice President Al Gore during his "Inconvenient Truth" lectures about mankind’s alleged impact on the global climate.
Gore fails to mention that the photograph was taken in the month of August when melting is normal. Or that the polar bear population has soared in recent years.
As winter roars in across the Northern Hemisphere, Mother Nature seems to have joined the ranks of the skeptics.
As the Express notes, scientists are saying the northern Hemisphere has endured its coldest winter in decades, adding that snow cover across the area is at its greatest since 1966. The newspaper cites the one exception — Western Europe, which had, until the weekend when temperatures plunged to as low as -10 C in some places, been basking in unseasonably warm weather.
Around the world, vast areas have been buried under some of the heaviest snowfalls in decades. Central and southern China, the United States, and Canada were hit hard by snowstorms. In China, snowfall was so heavy that over 100,000 houses collapsed under the weight of snow.
Jerusalem, Damascus, Amman, and northern Saudi Arabia report the heaviest falls in years and below-zero temperatures. In Afghanistan, snow and freezing weather killed 120 people. Even Baghdad had a snowstorm, the first in the memory of most residents.
AFP news reports icy temperatures have just swept through south China, stranding 180,000 people and leading to widespread power cuts just as the area was recovering from the worst weather in 50 years, the government said Monday. The latest cold snap has taken a severe toll in usually temperate Yunnan province, which has been struck by heavy snowfalls since Thursday, a government official from the provincial disaster relief office told AFP.
Twelve people have died there, state Xinhua news agency reported, and four remained missing as of Saturday.
An ongoing record-long spell of cold weather in Vietnam's northern region, which started on Jan. 14, has killed nearly 60,000 cattle, mainly bull and buffalo calves, local press reported Monday. By Feb. 17, the spell had killed a total of 59,962 cattle in the region, including 7,349 in the Ha Giang province, 6,400 in Lao Cai, and 5,571 in Bac Can province, said Hoang Kim Giao, director of the Animal Husbandry Department under the Vietnamese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, according to the Pioneer newspaper.
In Britain the temperatures plunged to -10 C in central England, according to the Express, which reports that experts say that February could end up as one of the coldest in Britain in the past 10 years with the freezing night-time conditions expected to stay around a frigid -8 C until at least the middle of the week. And the BBC reports that a bus company's efforts to cut global warming emissions have led to services being disrupted by cold weather.
Meanwhile Athens News reports that a raging snow storm that blanketed most of Greece over the weekend and continued into the early morning hours on Monday, plunging the country into sub-zero temperatures. The agency reported that public transport buses were at a standstill on Monday in the wider Athens area, while ships remained in ports, public services remained closed, and schools and courthouses in the more severely-stricken prefectures were also closed.
Scores of villages, mainly on the island of Crete, and in the prefectures of Evia, Argolida, Arcadia, Lakonia, Viotia, and the Cyclades islands were snowed in.
More than 100 villages were snowed-in on the island of Crete and temperatures in Athens dropped to -6 C before dawn, while the coldest temperatures were recorded in Kozani, Grevena, Kastoria and Florina, where they plunged to -12 C.
If global warming gets any worse we'll all freeze to death.

reefraff

I'm shocked. A thread about a political subject that might actually have political opinion expressed in it. Shocked I tell you!!!

salty blues

I'm ashamed of you all. The politically correct term is "climate change" and yes, I think it's all a bunch of hooey!

sigmachris

I am not going to claim or disclaim if global warming is a reality. I would just like to make a similar point on what humans are doing.
Let me ask a question / analogy and put it in a way we all would understand. We grasp (or should) the concept of bio load on our tanks. Too many fish leads to waste leads to a potential crash. The majority of us out of concern for our pets practice safe reefing by keeping the bio load under control.
What is the bio load on Mother Earth? Can you honestly say the way we are consuming fossil fuels, fresh water, crops, and other natural resources there won't be a disaster in the decades or centuries to come? Just look at the fighting that is going on in the Southeast between Georgia and Florida over fresh water. This same fight has been going on for decades between California, Nevada, and Arizona. Lake Meade has been retreating in volume for years now. If you visit there, boat docks are currently in position, well the same docks used to be almost a half a mile further up the shoreline just 10 years ago.
The following is taken from: http://earthtrends.wri.org/updates/node/61
"Around 1800 A.D., the earth's population reached 1 billion people. That number rose to 3 billion by 1960. Since then, world population has increased by another 1 billion people every 12-14 years. This unprecedented growth rate has led to a more-than doubling of global population over the last fifty years. Today, the total global population is approximately 6.5 billion people and best projections anticipate continued rapid increases in coming decades."
The attached link projects the population to approach 10 billion by 2050. That is 10 times the amount of people in 2050 than just 250 years earlier. You can't argue that we aren't affecting our climate in a way that the previous million or even billion years hasn't seen before. Its basic cause and affect and I am beginning to fear what the affects will be.
I am not a left wing liberal or tree hugger by no means. However, constantly debating if Global Warming is true and dividing the arguments down party lines seems insane. Just common sense and looking at these population numbers has to make you think we are damaging the environment and leaving the world much worse for our kids and grandkids.
Just my two cents, keep the change.
-Chris

fishy.....

I usually stay out of these things, however ......
Here is another perspective.
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...704808,00.html
(written the beginning of the year.)
2008 may be a record winter, however the summer of 2007 saw a record for arctic melting.
It will be interesting to see what happens this summer.......
I am always amused that there seem to be so many people (usually die-hard Republicans) that claim global warming is a myth. And in any case I would still find it hard to believe that people deny the fact that while we may be going through a warming cycle mankind is accelerating and magnifying that cycle.

reefraff

Notice all you ever hear about is the dreaded CO2 causing Global warming? Why no discussion of the other greenhouse gases? Funny but did you know:
Since the start of the industrial revolution CO2 has increased by 30%
Since the start of the industrial revolution Methane has increased 250%. Methane is 20 to 30 time more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2.
So why is there no push to limit Methane emissions? Could it be because there isn't a way to suck the US into paying methane credits because we aren't the major source of methane emissions.

bdhutier

i can feel global warming affecting the Earth right now, as we speak!! The temperature has definitely increased over the....... hold on............................................................ the A/C was off. Nevermind!

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2481179
Since the start of the industrial revolution Methane has increased 250%. Methane is 20 to 30 time more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2.
So why is there no push to limit Methane emmissions? Could it be because there isn't a way to suck the US into paying methane credits because we aren't the major source of methane emissions.

That is it...No more broccoli or beans for you.

reefraff

Originally Posted by Fishy.....
http:///forum/post/2481162
I usually stay out of these things, however ......
Here is another perspective.
http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...704808,00.html
(written the beginning of the year.)
2008 may be a record winter, however the summer of 2007 saw a record for arctic melting.
It will be interesting to see what happens this summer.......
I am always amused that there seem to be so many people (usually die-hard Republicans) that claim global warming is a myth. And in any case I would still find it hard to believe that people deny the fact that while we may be going through a warming cycle mankind is accelerating and magnifying that cycle.
I am allways ammused that so many people (usually die hard Democrats) say those who dont buy into the whole Kyoto scam claim global warming is a myth. I have heard very few quilified people say there is no global warming. Many simply question the unfounded notion that man is causing it.

oscardeuce

What about solar cycles? How much to fix the Sun to put out constant heat?
We need to stop global precession too. The UN can tax us to fix that.

salty blues

Read and learn. Concern for alledged human-caused climate change is simply a power base for left-wing politicians and paranoia-spreading tree huggers. As is gay rights, minority rights, abortion rights, womens rights, anti-gun rights, this & that syndrome rights...you get the picture.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2481380
Read and learn. Concern for alledged human-caused climate change is simply a power base for left-wing politicians and paronia-spreading tree huggers. As is gay rights, minority rights, abortion rights, womens rights, anti-gun rights, this & that syndrome rights...you get the picture.
It's been a long day so I am a little confused, are you actually AGAINST women's rights, gay rights, and minorities rights or is that sarcasm? If the former, what rights do you propose on taking away from them, voting, driving, free speech?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Fishy.....
http:///forum/post/2481162
I will totally jump ship and join your cause if you can answer me one simple question:
Why is it that multiple planets and moons in our solar system are all warming at the same time?
I personally have never argued that mankind is harming the environment. What I kick and scream about is the faulty "science", flawed logic, and blatant lies told to try to scare people into beleiving in something that may not exist.
Take DDT, for instance. We now know that much of the "science" used to scare people into banning it was unfounded and simply made up. As a result, DDT became much more difficult for poor nations to get; and as such mosquito borne illnesses and deaths increased dramatically.
My point is, "bad" science could well be responsible for the deaths of millions in Africa, India, SE Asia and South America.
We need to dump the alarmist rhetoric and let real scientists do their jobs.

salty blues

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
http:///forum/post/2481411
It's been a long day so I am a little confused, are you actually AGAINST women's rights, gay rights, and minorities rights or is that sarcasm? If the former, what rights do you propose on taking away from them, voting, driving, free speech?
I am not necessarily against anyone and I am not being sarcastic. Politicians use the global warming debate and other issues to divide people and garner support based on any of these issues supposed grievances.
As far as rights go, the last time I checked all US citizens are still guaranteed the same rights under the US Constitution.