glueing corals

jeepxj922

i got a maze coral some zoos and a trumpet coral today whats the best way to glue them? taking rock out and glueing them out of the water?

michaeltx

yeah thats the best way corals can stay out of water long enough for the glue to dry with out problems. i use superglue gel to glue them. just take a papertowl or something to pat dry the 2 surfaces to be glued and you good to go. if the zoos are not on something to glue and just a peel of the tissue DO NOT use superglue use something to hold them to the rock for a few days and they will attach on their own. use glue for them IMO is tricky and can damage the tissue on them.
mike

sum1famous

Hey tarheels please don't forget safety first.ALWAYS wear rubber glove And safety glasses when fragging any corals you probably already knew that. Zoos are highly toxic and all corals have all kinds of bacteria on in them.just be sure to wash up after.why safety glasses zoos sometimes have a tendency to squirt,when out of the water.as for fragging zoos i've found that zoos spread faster over a smooth surface. super glu GEL works great
Happy fragging.
Oh and for putting them back in water just use asmall container of tank wateer to set themin until your ready to put back in the tank. this helps the glu cure and cool also

rykna

Just don't do what I did...glue the coral to the rock, not the rock to you finger!!

michaeltx

how long does it take the glue to dry? and do you put it back in the water as soon as you glue it
doesnt take very long at all just about 30 seconds or so with the super glue gell. what to put it back in till the glue is dry before that it could release it hold.
again to re-say what was said USE gloves especially with the zoos they release a toxin that is very bad to you and if allergic can cause some major problems.!!!!!
Mike

rykna

Yep the super gel glue works best for me

I had my corky finger gorgonian out for about a half and hour( soaking in a shallow container) glueing it's base to a small LR.
It's much happier now.
DO you have pics of the stuff now that you got it glued?

corky

keep fingers away from eyelids.

keep fingers away from fingers

keep fingers away from ... :notsure:

rykna

Originally Posted by corky
keep fingers away from eyelids.

keep fingers away from fingers

keep fingers away from ... :notsure:
Yeah that's a big nono....which I am not good at avoiding. Last time I was gluing coral, I glued the LR to my finger instead of to the coral

maelv

What if you are trying to glue a frag, or a coral for that matter, to a rock that is towards the bottom of the tank....I HAVE to take out all the rock to put it on there? Don't have anything yet, just wondering at this point.

rykna

Usually you glue a frag to a small LR( at least I do this), use a rubber band to attach it to the big LR where you want to place it, let it gradually spread over the rock, and eventually remove the rubber band. It really depends, in my opinion, what type and size of coral. For example, my corky finger gorgorian is a little over 12" tall. I wanted it to appear as thought it was naturally attached to the larger LR. To do this I glued the base to a small base ball sized LR. I used small seashells to help stabilize the stem and stregthen the bond to the live rock. When I placed it back in I surrounded it with the large LR and presto landscaping is done.
What kind of coral are you trying to attach to your large LR?

maelv

Originally Posted by Rykna
Usually you glue a frag to a small LR( at least I do this), use a rubber band to attach it to the big LR where you want to place it, let it gradually spread over the rock, and eventually remove the rubber band. It really depends, in my opinion, what type and size of coral. For example, my corky finger gorgorian is a little over 12" tall. I wanted it to appear as thought it was naturally attached to the larger LR. To do this I glued the base to a small base ball sized LR. I used small seashells to help stabilize the stem and stregthen the bond to the live rock. When I placed it back in I surrounded it with the large LR and presto landscaping is done.
What kind of coral are you trying to attach to your large LR?
Just a general question...not sure what exactly I am getting, but did like some spiny orange sea rod, purple sea rod, and a flourescent green & purple ric someone had...the gorgs were about 8" tall and the ric was a couple of inches or so....
but I am asking for future reference, should I find a nice peice I want to add ot my tank do I really have to take out 100 + lbs of rock to place it down low...
This is all new to me....thanks

michaeltx

no you dont have to take out all the rock.
what you do is glue it to smaller pieces of rock that you can easly move around If you want to permantly place that rock you can use a underwater epoxy to set the smaller rock in place where you want it.
Mike

maelv

Mike,
I went out and purchased super glue in the gel because folks say it works....but will I also need to go get some of the underater epoxy if I am going to glue inside of the water or will this super glue work as well?

rykna

epoxy
Stuff has never worked for me in the 24 years I have had fish. If you can get it work, all the power to you! I would spend 2 cents on it, just my humble opinion.
Super glue gel
this stuff rocks

puffer32

When you put a glob of glue on the piece of rubble, make sure you get it stuck to the larger piece quickly. Decide where you want it before you place it in the water cause once it hits the water, it drys real fast. Press down on the rock for afew seconds to help it bond tight.

michaeltx

it has always worked for me just had to really work it before it was ready to use. I used the green outside with the white epoxy inside dont know if there is a difference.
mike

Where do you guys get the super glue gel from, hardware store? Does it have to be a special type to not affect the livestock? And when you are gluing, is there generally a location of the coral you want to add the glue to, base, side? I just want to make sure i don't hurt it.

michaeltx

just plain old superglue. it was originally made for threadless sutures at the hospitals so there is nothing in it to hurt anything as long as your careful not to coat the entire coral with it..
Mike