Glueing tanks together.

murph

I am getting bored and need a new project. I have a couple of standard dimension 75 gal tanks and was wondering If I could silicone them together to make one eight foot tank.
I know I could use a dremel to cut holes/passthroughs in the end of each tank leaving a 3 inche border of glass. Then rather than mess with the plastic framing use glass pieces/slats to silicone the whole thing together. Anyone ever try this?
One problem I can think of right away would be moving a tank like this. I would assume where they were siliconed together at the ends would be a weak point and make it almost impossible to move. However if the whole thing were siliconed together right where the tank was to be setup I think it may work.
I have been doing the reef thing for a few years and to be honest it is making an already expensive hobby almost prohibitively expensive. With an eight foot tank I would probably go FO with just my existing LR and not be to limited in the species of fish I could keep.

frh674

Originally Posted by Murph
I am getting bored and need a new project. I have a couple of standard dimension 75 gal tanks and was wondering If I could silicone them together to make one eight foot tank.
I know I could use a dremel to cut holes/passthroughs in the end of each tank leaving a 3 inche border of glass. Then rather than mess with the plastic framing use glass pieces/slats to silicone the whole thing together. Anyone ever try this?
One problem I can think of right away would be moving a tank like this. I would assume where they were siliconed together at the ends would be a weak point and make it almost impossible to move. However if the whole thing were siliconed together right where the tank was to be setup I think it may work.
I have been doing the reef thing for a few years and to be honest it is making an already expensive hobby almost prohibitively expensive. With an eight foot tank I would probably go FO with just my existing LR and not be to limited in the species of fish I could keep.
instead of messing up your tanks why not just give me one :) lol