Goby Assassin?

ian

I have had a thread about a new Diamond Goby I bought running for a few days now, which is a whole long story all together. BUT! I have (had is a better way of putting it) this crab and although I don't know what type I was rather fond of him. He was in a very large turbo snail shell and has been in my tank for about a year. He has one very large claw if that helps identify him. A few minutes ago I found what was left which was the "claw" and a few legs. Is there any chance my goby is the guilty one? Has anyone heard of a goby attacking or eating crabs? :notsure:

fishy411

What are the other fish in that tank? I'd say that most likely the goby is innocent bit it's hard to tell without knowing what else is in there

ian

yellow tang, lopezi tang, clown, damsels, psuedo, all docile stuff that has been in there with him for a long time.

new2u

the goby is most likely not the culprit they wouldnt eat them, do you see the shell cuz it could possibly be a molt i thought my emaralds died but they were molts :rolleyes: :D

fishy411

i agree with new2u but if it turns out he is dead i would have to say that it is either the damsel or one of the tangs but probly the damsel if it is dead.

yellowtail

i would not blame any of the fish.
the crab deffinently sound like a "pistol shrimp".he most likely molted and i would probaly classify this as a molt.

ian

No this was a hermit of some type, he was in an old turbo snails shell, just seemed weird that he was ok for a year until the Goby arrived?

new2u

is the shell still around? if one claw was bigger than the other it means it is a "mean" hermit lol

yellowtail

Originally posted by New2u
is the shell still around? if one claw was bigger than the other it means it is a "mean" hermit lol

actually that would most likely be pistol shrimp

new2u

i dont think pistol shrimp live in snail shells
and read the hermit profiles on *********** for red hermits

zephyrlily

Ian,
Did he look like mine?
Mine is actually not mean, he eats out of my hand.
Are you sure yours didn't molt and the other fish are picking at the molted carcass?

ian

Hmmmm? That is exactly what it looked like but I still kind find him. I thought you were crazy until I saw the picture. I am going to keep checking and looking for him. Maybe he is in the crab relocation program.