goby pistol shrimp? ???

carlos413

Guys my lfs has two sets of goby pistol shirimp paired up. Any steps I need to take in order to get them to stay paired up and find each other in my tank? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

btldreef

How large is your tank and what else do you have in it?
What type of pistol and goby pair are they?
Goby/Pistol pairs do best in smaller tanks, in large tanks, you'll never see them except for when the pistol decided to create a snow storm with your substrate. I keep mine in my 20G refugium (Yasha Goby with Randalli Pistol Shrimp). Some pistols are also more aggressive than others. Mine has been kept with Fire Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Boxer Crabs and other fish and never been an issue. The pistol did leave my goby for a few weeks, but they found each other and paired up again. While they were in a "trial separation", the shrimp shacked up with my tail spot blenny, it was really cool:

To help them stay paired, release them together in a net. The fish will usually follow the shrimp. If the tank is smaller, the shrimp will snap until the fish finds it again. Ask the LFS how long they've been paired. The longer they've been paired, the better off you are. I purchased mine open in a tank, not kept in one of those critter cages so that I knew they were a true pair and not just being forced to stay with one another because they were in a cage.